Mag Rotor

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If you hold the rotor like Dave is showing in the photo, the "correct" photo, than you won't have to worry about front/back. Exact TDC is not relevant. Simply rotate the crank so the keyway is where it is shown in the photo; at the approximate 1 oclock position.
Tom

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
so what makes a difference where the keyway is loctaed! it could be at the 12 o clock position if tdc didnt matter, as long as you align the rotor to the shaft. sorry just not
getting what you sayin. "Iam not picking up what your laying down" help me to understand!

wdbtchr

Jan 31, 2008
Juneau, Ak
so what makes a difference where the keyway is loctaed! it could be at the 12 o clock position if tdc didnt matter, as long as you align the rotor to the shaft. sorry just not
getting what you sayin. "Iam not picking up what your laying down" help me to understand!
He is using that position as a convenience because of the shape of the rotor If you lay the rotor so the flatter sides are top and bottom, the keyway will be at either 11 o clock or one o clock. The correct position is at one o clock. Because the engine fires every revolution, you turn the crank so that keyway is also at one o clock and install the rotor. You could use 5 and 7 o clock if you wanted to, but then it gets confusing. If you turn the crank and rotor so everything is at one o clock, and the rotor is positioned as illustrated, the indexing will come out every time. Hmmm. Now I'm confused.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
He is using that position as a convenience because of the shape of the rotor If you lay the rotor so the flatter sides are top and bottom, the keyway will be at either 11 o clock or one o clock. The correct position is at one o clock. Because the engine fires every revolution, you turn the crank so that keyway is also at one o clock and install the rotor. You could use 5 and 7 o clock if you wanted to, but then it gets confusing. If you turn the crank and rotor so everything is at one o clock, and the rotor is positioned as illustrated, the indexing will come out every time. Hmmm. Now I'm confused.
Exactly the way I would have explained it. Thanks
Tom

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
the key is around 1 or 2 oclock file so the front of the mag the key should be at 1 or 2 oclock if its at 10 or 11 its backwards.
btw dave what happened to the mainseal lol is that why its apart?

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Note the inside rivit is to the counter clockwise side of the keyway when looking at it