Any ideas for this Phat Stretch

GoldenMotor.com

barnyrubbish

Sep 1, 2010
Michigan
Hello all
I bought this Phat Stretch over the summer with the intention of mounting a motor in it.
Since reading all the great information that has been shared here I am leaning towards a 110cc or larger due to my size (Cast a big shadow when the sun is straight up noon).
Any ideas would be greatly appeciated.
I am also going to add lights and turn signals.
The tires are 2.5x24 inch and overall length of bike wheel hub to wheel hub is 65 inches.
Thanks for looking and for your help.
Barny

Attachments

momentummotorgroup

Apr 10, 2009
grand rapids, michigan
that's a sweet bike.

I run a Micargi Mustang stretch with a 66cc and am 6'3, 280lbs. I get mine going about 32mph on it, but have been caught numerous times by my local po-po so am now riding my Grubee 49cc.. which goes about 42mph since it has been broken in.. funny how engines work, right?

The biggest problem here in Michigan is that ANY motorized vehicle has to be registered. In order to do this, the motor must be below 2hp, have a top speed of no more than 30mph, and must have blinkers, brake lights, headlights and a horn and mirrors to be passed by the local fire dept for a permit. Anything above 2hp is deemed a motorcycle here and needs proper title, insurance, and registration.

You can fudge the 66cc thing a bit by taking off the cover plate that denotes the engine size, just make sure you're not going more than 30mph.

I'd also suggest getting a front disc brake and a rear caliper brake and set them up on the double pull brake handle you can get through the purveyors here.

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
110cc! To a purist like me, that would take it out of the motorized bicycle class. And where could you ride it without getting pulled over regularly? Why not just buy a motorcycle?

If you think your weight would be a problem, get a shift kit from Sick Bike Parts or wherever and put a 6 speed hub w/ deraileur or an internally geared hub on your rear wheel. From your inference to your weight, my 200 lbs might seem skinny to you, but on my stretch with a shift kit and 6 speed hub I can start from a dead stop with a half a pedal crank and can reach a speed of 50 mph.

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
I second that venice! You should search some of Crazy Horse's builds he has been putting 4 stroke atv engines on his choppers.
110cc! To a purist like me, that would take it out of the motorized bicycle class. And where could you ride it without getting pulled over regularly? Why not just buy a motorcycle.
BR, as jcchappy suggested, you very easily could use a Chinese cloned Honda Horizontal engine for your Phat Stretch Cruiser / Chopper.

BR, I think Maxvision is correct if its a 110cc engine its a motorcycle in the legal sense or definition, so a 50cc version would be in the motorized bicycle class as a motor assisted bicycle.

I'm curious does anyone know if there is a specific thread here in the forum on motorized bicycle classes?

If we do have a thread on motorized bicycle classes based on total power output, my guess is that there would be a class with specifications for Electrics with total output power equivalent to 50cc combustion engine, and Combustion powered 50cc or less for it to be accepted as a motor assisted bicycle. What class would the Horizontal Honda Mini Trail 50cc engine be if mounted on a bicycle, personally in my opinion it is in the motorized bicycle class in the legal sense to a Purist like me. JMO!!!

Every state here in the USA has different laws regarding what is legally allowed on the road, most state laws state that the combustion engine must be 50cc or less and be a fully automatic transmission.

Search your local and state laws to be sure about what is legal, prior to motorizing your bike!

These 4-Stroke Horizontal engines are Honda CT70 clones used in the Honda Mini Trail see pic's below, and are available in 50cc, 70cc, 90cc, and 110cc. They can also have an upper electric starter, lower electric starter and also kick start only. They also have different transmissions including Automatic, Semi-Automatic (manual but no clutch), and full manual, you may also have a reverse which is a plus for a three wheel stretch or a stretch with a sidecar.

HOW CAN YOU UPGRADE YOU 4 STROKE HORIZONTAL ENGINE??

50cc 39mm, 70cc 47mm, 90cc 47mm, 110cc 52.4mm horizontal engines used on Pit Bikes, small dirt bikes, small ATV's, Midi Bike (large pocket bikes) and monkey bikes are all very similar.

Lots of people wonder if they can change their 50cc 39mm or 70cc 47mm engines to a 110cc 52.4mm engine. Well here is what you can do.

The 50cc engine is similar to the 70cc engine so you can change the cylinder and piston to upgrade it to a 70cc without any problems.

Here is the where people get confused. The 70cc and 90cc engine have the same 47mm bore, the difference is the 90cc has a longer stroke and uses the same crank shaft as the 110cc engine.

This means that in you can change your 90cc to a 110cc by changing the cylinder and piston but in order to change you 70cc to a 90cc or 110cc you will have to change your crank shaft.

You can even add a turbo on these 50cc engines.
Here's the Link for the turbo kit:
MBE Motorsports inc. : Small Engine Turbocharger VZ21 [VZ21Turbo] - $349.89USD

The cheapest way to get a complete setup for this type of motorizing a bicycle is to buy a Kids 50cc ATV see pic below, with the fully automatic engine you can have running lights, Head light & Brake light, horn, electric/kick start, turn signals, keyed ignition, remote kill switch, and motion alarm. You can find these Kids atv's for $379.00 and up!!!

If you buy just an engine you'll be spending a significant amount money for all the engine components if bought separately, so save yourself money and headaches buy a complete ATV 50cc and you'll be way ahead of the game.

Search on ebay or google ATVs & shop around for the price you are comfortable with and start your build.

Here in the Washington, D.C. Northern Virginia, and Maryland area these 50cc engines are street legal if mounted on a bicycle!!!

Ideas Ideas Ideas, so many different ideas & options for motorizing a bicycle and here in our forum we have a wealth of information.

Here's a few pic's of the Chinese Cloned 50cc horizontal e-22 engine originally used on Honda Mini Trail 50's & Honda CT70 Trail Bikes, mounted on ATVs, Dirt bikes, and some 4-stroke pedal mopeds.

In the last pic is a exploded view of all the items you'll need to remove or scavenge from a kid's 50cc ATV, for motorizing with this type of engine.

Some members prefer powering their builds with an electric hub or electric motor, and others prefer powering their builds with a 2-stroke china gurl engine kit, however those few who have used the Chinese cloned Horizontal honda 4-stroke engine are very satisfied with this type of engine for motorizing their bicycles, then there is the EZmotorbike 4-stroke engine kit which is also a favorite for many here in the forum.

Peace Crazy Horse.

Last edited:

barnyrubbish

Sep 1, 2010
Michigan
Thanks Guys, you all have very good ideas and tips that I am sure will help me get this bike motoring down the road. I will be keeping you posted as to the progress, and I am sure I will have more questions down the road.
Again thanks
Barny