grip shift

GoldenMotor.com

dmpatanis

Aug 23, 2010
Greece
I have mountain bicycle with 18speed and i have two shift grip ane for 3 speed(front)and one for 6speed(back).
What to do????
Thanks a lot.

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
I used my front shifter (left) for my clutch, but I have the quick fire type so I am not sure how the grip shifter type would work for that. And I am getting ready to put the throttle on my back shifter(right) to have thumb type throttle. So I would imagine a grip shifter on the accelerator would give a more traditional type throttle set up.

I origianlly did not want to modify my bike much, bolt on the motor and go, and be able to take the motor off and have my mountain bike back if I did not like the motor, that changed after the first ride, the motor is never coming off... But swapping cables out on your shifters is not permanant so if you don't like it, put it all back, I have not used my shifters once since adding the motor, it is set on 3 or 4 on the rear and that is the perfect gear for starting up, and for the one hill I sometimes have to peddle assist up.

Also by using your shifters, you will keep your handle bars a little cleaner and the controls less confusing.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I have mountain bicycle with 18speed and i have two shift grip ane for 3 speed(front)and one for 6speed(back).
What to do????
Thanks a lot.
After you have the engine on your bike, you're not gonna need to pedal much anymore... I just remove the front derailuer & put the chain on the center chainring. ;)
Then do as Chainmaker said & move the rear shifter to the clutch side!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Depending on your handlebar length (cruisers have longer bars) you might be able to just slide the grip shifter inboard and install the twist grip throttle outboard of it. I have two bikes with 7 speed grip shifters, one I took two inches off the bar length and still had room for the grip shift and throttle on the right bar. Like most, I rarley if ever use the shifter. Gear 2 or 3 is where it stays.
Tom

xen

Jun 15, 2010
Salt Lake City
You could replace the grip shifter with an index shifter. That is what I did one one of my motorized bikes and it works fine. I kept all my gears, and the shifters don't interfere with any of the other levers. You can buy a set for about ten buck at a bike shop. Just make sure you get the indexed type (with the clicks) because the non-indexed are a pain.

Attachments

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
no prob budday! pictures do help. He must have figured a way havent seen a response. also it never gets shifted always on the esiest to pedal gear except when the thing blows up and i have to peda 10 miles home lol