Livefast 55cc anyone?

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Cheers? Jeers?
I am waiting on the new 55cc kits (the economy kits with the bogus 5 hole sprockets)....anyone care to comment, or am I your guinea pig?;)

misteright1_99

Mar 21, 2008
Treasure Coast, Florida
55CC? Is that anything like the 80CC? I thought the 5 bolt sprockets were the "old" style, the 9 bolt being better because of more evenly distributed stress on the spokes.
How much $$$$......

captainrichhill

May 31, 2008
I'll tell ya I don't know what to believe any more when it comes to sizes. 49, 50, 55, 70, 80...Dax says there aren't anything even close to an 80cc. Who knows....

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I think it's what they used to call a "60cc".:crash:

It's got a funky pipe on it. I didn't really look at the carb or air filter.

I am not worried about the sprocket as I have several around here. What kind of bike did the five hole fit anyway?

Livefast says they "don't have any experience with these motors". They also admit that it has the "hard to mount five hole sprocket". Very up front if you ask me....

I have seen this type if bicycle motor kit before....don't know where it was, but I saw a very distinct red badge on the left (mag) side cover.

I'll do a review when they get here and an update once I get the thing(s) running and rolling.

Maybe one of them will go on the '59 Schwinn?

Last edited:

misteright1_99

Mar 21, 2008
Treasure Coast, Florida
Joe, from what I have READ, as this was before I was into MB, I think the 5 hole sprokets came with all the kits in the beginning. I'm still a noob as I have only 1 engine install under my belt. I am undecided on my next, I have been looking at the Crystalite electrics for my Motobecane mountain bike, but the one I WANT is rear wheel and just over $1000. and thats with lead acid batteries, lithium is a $1000. ADDER!!!!!!!

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
the 5 hole sprocket sucks. yes i used one and it will brake spokes more often then you ever thought possible. i think because it is not sandwiching the spokes as well as a nine hole. after i broke about 10 different spokes in maybe 14 rides i went to the 9 hole and never broke a spoke again. i would get a 9 hole for sure

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Well it's going up on the wall. I have other 9 holers. See my thread in 2 stroke kits called "Somebody got some splainin to do" for more on this bicycle motor.

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Hey Joe, the 5-hole sprocket with the 1.4 inch (nominal) center hole is what we had when I convinced Grube to do something about those PITA sprockets. WHY? says he, they fit just fine, EVERYBODY over here uses them.

I supplied the measeurments of every Coaster I had in my collection (all the way back to Bendix!) and from my insistance and measurements (and one other guy I've heard) the 9-hole sprocket had it's tooling paid for, and came to life.

What does the 5-hole fit? Well it obviously fits the 40 spoke, rod brake China-bikes, that are copies of the old Raleighs.

If you don't have one of those perhaps you'd like to see mine?

28x1.5 tires, narrow rims, rod brakes, built-in lock, Black color only, leather saddle, full "chain case" gold leaf lettering, just your basic China Bike!

Mike

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Those sound like my kinda bike....too bad I don't have one to match the sprocket. I will be made into a shop clock.

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
The sprocket on my Jaguar was a 5 hole that Norman had. He lined it up with a nine hole sprocket and rotated it around till he had meat in all nine holes and made it into a nine hole sprocket. Of course Norman is a genious. He can make anything out of nothing but air and beer...............

Tj Bunch

Jun 18, 2008
Of course Norman is a genious. He can make anything out of nothing but air and beer...............

Give Him some time and you'll be suprised at we have Norm Come up with Beer With That 2stroke Smell and gasoline after taste.....MMMMMMMMM rotfl