??? HF Touring Bike

GoldenMotor.com

Buzzard

Jul 9, 2008
Lincoln, NE
YO everybody...
Been monitoring the posts and threads on the HF motor overhead valve 79ci
I'm building up a touring bike and my bikes of choice are the Workman's, Newsboy and the Gruby G2
This bike will be used for long distance touring with the HF motor pulling a Bob's 1 wheel trailer w/app 45lbs gear and I weigh 170 soaking wet.
My ?? are:
Do you recommend removing the governor or leaving it in tact?
Speed is not of the essence, would like to cruise between 15-17mph and max at 20mph.
I will use 1 of the 2 excellent belt drive transmissions that our vendors have worked so hard to put together for us.
What kind of advice and suggestions can you give me on gearing up such a set up?
And recommendations for throttle hook up to the engine?
I work in the State Capitol small engine shop and have access to a lot a different parts such as throttle stops, cables, brackets, and other misc. goodies.
Any comments advice or suggestions would be deeply appreciated.

Hi Buzzard,

I would suggest gearing in the 12 X 1 range on the HF motor and use the torque to pull while "touring". The motor is designed to work really well at 3600 RPMs and would travel at 23 MPH at that RPM. A 12 X 1 will also afford a reasonable take off speed. At 16 MPH the motor would only turn 2500 RPMs, and at 10 MPH it would spin at 1600 RPMs.

These 12 X 1 ratio will pull hard from 10 to 20 MPH and still keep the motors RPM level at a reasonable rate. A few of our dealers have tested similar ratios with good results. If you drop much below 12 X 1, I suspect you will need to pedal assist during take off.

I don't like a motor with a governor, just in case I need a quick response from the motor. I use the throttle as my governor, and feel safer knowing the power is at my 'fingertips" if needed.

Without the governor the motor is reported to exceed 4500 RPMs in stock form, which at 12 X 1 would be 29 MPH.

If you wanted a better take off speed you could opt for a 14 X 1, but the motor would turn much higher RPMs at cruising speeds and will transmit more vibration.

Hope this information helps

Have fun,

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Remove the govenor to carb linkege on top of the engine. I use a throttle made from a two finger brake lever. To tow loads I would use 14 to 1 reduction. My bike, loads, and me weighs about 285 lbs. and will cruise at 30 mph all day. On really steep hills it will pull down to about 20 mph. I think this would fit your criteria very well.

Buzzard

Jul 9, 2008
Lincoln, NE
Thanks guys for your expertise and advice. I might be old but I'm not too old to take good suggestions and advice.
There are a lot of great minds on this forum. I respect all the input I can get. It's really a learning process. Theres not a day that goes by that you don't learn something no matter how old you are.

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Yeah Good Advice!

Get rid of the Guv! It leaks anyway!

This motor doesn't vibrate at high speeds though, it smooths out! It's the smoothest motor I've used on a bicycle yet!

As far as gearing up I always suggest getting the best brakes possible and using the best components w/in your budget.

The NewsBoy is a tough one to fit a 4 stroke into. I don't know of any 4 stroke "kit's" that'll fit it. I've got a NewsBoy frame in for powdercoat right now that I'll be finishing this month w/ a 98cc Lifan SideValve motor and a 7 speed JackShifter open trans. I love the NewsBoy Platform and have lots planned for it!

The G2 should be an easier fit.

Cheers! Evan

Buzzard

Jul 9, 2008
Lincoln, NE
tyrslider I been following the posts on your Workmans build. Looks like its going to be a real winner. I got an old Workman's frame I've had around for a long time but I dont' know what to do with it. But I do like the in frame tank that you could put in one. But like you said to the HF motor on it would be a tight fit. I havent' purchased the G2 yet I have some questionability of the quality of the components. I picked up an old Raleigh mountain bike frame from the LPD auction I know its made out of the good stuff because when you wrap it with the end of a ratchet its got a good ring to it. It may just be the basics for my build. Gonna take it down to the shop tomorrow and glass bead it out and magniflux for any imperfections dents and dings. Powder coating is the only way to go. One of the guys in the shop gave me a handlbar off an old Honda motorcycle it has the roll off grips kill switch and break levers and cables intact. He said I might be able to use it. I told that the bike bars are smaller diameter he said that would be no problem he can make sleeves to fit.. I said that might work. I got the whole bunch interested in motorbikes now. I think I started something. lol
I got 2 motors and I'm in the process of removing the governor completely. I can fix the oil leak by retapping the hose and installing plugs in loktite. The top hole I'm going to install a stud and use it for a pivot point for the throttle. I think that will work out pretty good.
As for components I always use Shimano. It's gonna take me alittle while to get this all together
Thanks for your advice.

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Right on Buzzard!

Your Raleigh will do great for whatever you choose. Raliegh uses good quality ChroMo and has for a long time. Your on the right track!

Good lookin' out it's your @$$ on the line!

Cheers! Evan