Looking to build a cruiser....(help needed!)

GoldenMotor.com

jhill44

Apr 15, 2010
MAINE
hey! just became an enthusiast and would love to get started on making a chopper style motorized bike....looking at either the micargi prado (bc it's only 200), the joas 3.0, and the puma 3.0. (i am leaning towards the joas, looks like i might be able to get away w the chain provided w the engine kit) which one of these would be an easier project? pretty sure that i would need custom engine mounts for either of them but would love any input you guys would have for me! looking to mount a skyhawk 48cc engine on it.
from my understanding, reading some of these threads i should look into getting a custom rear sprocket, better bearings, longer chain, and ......? feel free to throw any ideas at me! i would really like to get started on this project!

joker

Oct 6, 2009
clearwater
I am just starting a MARCAGI PUMA build and let me tell ya somthing prepare for a lot of fabrication.
I am pretty much hand building all needed parts
MOTOR MOUNTS 8 HOURS
REAR SPROCKET 6 HOURS
These bikes are so cool looking and probably the best riding bike i have ever rode, but even as labor intensive as it is i cant help myself.
Anymore i dont get in a hurry to complete a bike it is just not worth it, so i just do a little at a time which in the long run pays off.
I have had the bike a few months and have got the motor mounted and the rear wheel done, so i am down to the minor stuff.
I do custom paint and fiberglass work so i am designing a gas tank that is strechted to match that long top bar.
and i have realized that i will need to fabricate a nice exhaust but i think in the end it will all be worth it.

jhill44

Apr 15, 2010
MAINE
joker....how is ur build going? i just got my bike in and i am looking to get things rolling on mounting the motor this weekend. with your puma there were some pretty wide tires sent w that correct? just wondering if you had any trouble w the chain rubbing on the wide tires after instillation? trying to figure out if i should look into buying a skinnier tire...

joker

Oct 6, 2009
clearwater
hey jhill44
Its actually going pretty well i got the chain on actually its a chain and a half, after attempting to thread the chain through the frame on the bottom i realized i had to
run the chain on the bottom below the frame, and use 2 chain tentioners.
i know what you mean about the chain hitting the tire but the way i did it i should not have that problem.
I just really wanted to keep the same rim and tire on it even though that meant alot more time.
Several people on here said to replace it but i am a hard head.
My only issue on finishing it is that i have 2 49cc motors and i really would rather have a 66cc so i am hoping to run accrossed one just prior to finishing it.
I have a commuter bike a giant that has a 66cc that i sent to the machine shop i would love to do the same to it but i have 500.00 in that motor.
I dont think it woud be wise to make this a fast bike though, its more of a slow rider.
But it will look so cool that it wont need to be fast.\
Your rear sprocket will have to be redrilled in a differant configuation if you are going to
use the same rim.
I am trying to find a tuned pipe to make the exhaust

jhill44

Apr 15, 2010
MAINE
do you have any pictures of how u ran the chain to keep the same tire on? i would love to see it so maybe i could keep the tires on mine. i like the bike as it is and would hate to have to buy a new tire for it...

UnionJackMike

Aug 1, 2010
Beaumont,California
Re: Building a Cruiser.
Hey I need to tell you that your going to need all the tools for your project. The right wrenches, screwdrivers, etc. Make sure all your parts check out first, i.e. nuts bolts and other hardware. Start with your bicycle, make sure it's in proper order, brakes, bars, etc. If you are going to put a gas motor in, make sure your carb is all in one piece. Don't over tighten anything, snug is good, because you will have to mount your motor with special additions the kits give you. Sometimes you can turn clamps around for fit.
If you have one of those electric grinders, you can do your chain cutting easier, taking out links etc. Your idler will give you a bit of noise, so make sure you get the ball bearing type, otherwise use much grease packed inside. Don't forget to adjust your clutch the way the instructions tell you to. Also, make sure your throttle set-up is right. On the clutch, don't forget to use grease, enough but not too much. ( On the gear spline ).
Use tape for all your clamps, so you don't scratch your frame, unless it's a rat bike. Make sure all your cables are free and don't scrunch up when you're turning the bars. At first mix the gas according to instructions. Don't over rev the motor. Run about 15 minutes then after the first tank of gas go to your mixing instructions again.
Use another set of hands when mounting the sprocket, ( friend ). Oh and don't try to assemble your motor-bike at 2 in the morning in your underwear. I did, Oh well, what can I say.

momentummotorgroup

Apr 10, 2009
grand rapids, michigan
I had mine (Micargi Mustang- same length as the Puma) up and running in 5 hours. It took redrilling the rear sprocket to deal with the 68 spokes, a trip to Tractor Supply Co for some chain, and an extra tensioner for the manual pedal side to navigate the motor. The bottom motor mount was an $8 muffler clamp and a straight piece of steel, drilled to fit the motor mounts and muffler bracket.

You will want to get that rear hub apart and grease it up with some higher viscosity stuff, b/c the grease they've got is scant and it wasn't meant for the rpm's we dole out on 'em. I used straight up motorcycle grease to deal with those bearings and their craptacular grease. Also, you might want to take that rear tire off as well, and give it a good couple wraps with aluminum duct tape, as i went through 3 tired due to that rim not being double walled, the spokes popped my inner tubes repeatedly.

also get a good set of caliper or V brakes. I use calipers on mine and only use the coaster for full out emergency stops, as I also melted and destroyed 2 rear hubs from overheating them. Actually shattered one of the brake shoes internally at 32mph. NOT FUN.