my hoot gearbox survival method!!

GoldenMotor.com

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Has the clutch actually worn a lip into the clutch bell? If so the clutch bell is not hardened either in which case if your school has a machine shop I'd take it in and give it a skim.

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
Has the clutch actually worn a lip into the clutch bell? If so the clutch bell is not hardened either in which case if your school has a machine shop I'd take it in and give it a skim.
no its smoothed it out, making a small lip, not actually worn it out, it seems ok, im sure it will be fine,

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
But it did make a lip right? That's the important info as it will tell you if the bell is hard or soft.
yeah it did, only on half the clutch bell though, and its so small, also it might have been like that? not to mention when i first got the bike i filled it will gear oil and it slipped so badly it would barley move, yet i rode it for a week slipping that bad,

Motor Boys

Nov 6, 2009
Cambridge
Hey guys I was trying to keep my nose clean for the rest of the day, but yes civ. I do have some parts. I am getting more in stock around Christmas, I have all the gears just not complete boxes. Keep it up linnix, I'm rooting for ya.
Thanks Rob

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
well the gears in my HT only lasted 3000kms and i needed to replace them, so i think that if i get 3000kms to a clutch bell gear then thats just fine, and i will get new ones
I would also consider couple thousand miles good for these Hoot gears. Certainly better than 30 miles.

I' haven't had a HT gear fail yet but then I grease them at least once a year (I also get a haircut once a year whether I need it or not. :) ). One has over 14k miles. I did replace a couple of the small chain sprockets.

Did you grease your HT gears?

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
I would also consider couple thousand miles good for these Hoot gears. Certainly better than 30 miles.

I' haven't had a HT gear fail yet but then I grease them at least once a year (I also get a haircut once a year whether I need it or not. :) ). One has over 14k miles. I did replace a couple of the small chain sprockets.

Did you grease your HT gears?
yeah i did, like once every 2 months, but keep in mind i put the 4000kms on in under half a year, so i worked it out, it was good though, 20 minutes and i had it going again, my vendor sold me a gear for like 15 bucks,

RebelMoby

Nov 14, 2009
Canada
Good enough pictures even with a ca-ca camera. You got the right idea with the shimming of the gears to increase the contact surface.
Perhaps you need to harden the clutch by quench hardening with oil if it is wearing out quickly from being too soft. Use oil to quench though as water or brine quenching might distort the bell.

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
hi all! i got the shim in place, and the bike all back together, the teeth are perfect now! i used alot of red loctite on the woodruff key and entire large gear shaft so it will be secure, everything looks ok, it all clears the gearbox cover and the clutch engages smoothly, im not riding for 24 hours to let it dry but i just want to ask if there is anything i may have overlooked, the large gear fit on the shaft really easy, alot easier than it came off, i put a large socket over the shaft and used my hammer to tap in on there good, there is an abundance of red loctite on it, but not dripping onto the gears, i made sure of that, i tightened the bold on the clutch bell the best i could, the engine turns over if i tightened it so i put an allen key into the clutch to stop it and tightened it the farthest i could(which isnt that tight because the clutch slips, but its on there as good as it was before) and the engine rotation should tighten it further, i have a super lube on the way,

thanks guys, sorry for the no pictures but my "ca ca" camera crapped out and wont turn on,

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
You can put a screw driver or something like it in between the fan blades on the other side of the engine to keep it from turning when tightening the bolt on the clutch. Don't go crazy tightening it though, the fan blades could break if you try to stand on your wrench. I have not had this happen, but the possibility is there.

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
UPDATE

good news and bad, good news is the gearbox seems great, the shim made the gearbox have absolutly 0% whine under exeleration and constant speeds, it does however give out a car reversing transmition sounding whine when i let off the gas and slow down, its always done that, and its a low whine(moderately loud) so it isnt high and shrill and doesnt hurt my ears,

bad news, i almost died, AGAIN! i was on the main road through Hamilton doing about 60 along with traffic and i noticed my bike was sinking and making a clacking noise, so i pulled over and looked at the wheels, i looked and looked and didnt see anything wrong, so i hoped on and rode off, immediately it started sinking again! i was wondering what was going on, i looked down at the front engine mount and saw a gaping void where my frame down tube should be!!! my frame snapped in half at the engine mount, all that held it together was the small upper tube my gas tank was mounted on, if my frame had of given up completely i wouldn't be typing this right now, im a little shaken up right now so excuse the typos, luckily everyone in canada is super nice so i just found the nearest guy with a pickup truck and put my bike in the back and he drove me home(for free of course)

now im faced with some way to fix my frame? its hollow steel, its a $1000 mountain bike so i dont want to throw it away, an i put something inside the tube? can i put metal over it and weld it back together? i dont want it to break again!, thanks guys and hopefully i will be riding soon, i wont let this deter me from my favorite pastime(and main mode of transportation)

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
Dude, can I take you to Vegas and split the winnings with you? You have to be one of the luckiest peeps I know of. You can surely weld it back together. If you aren't proficient at it, you should let an experienced welder do it. The way you weld is important.

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
Dude, can I take you to Vegas and split the winnings with you? You have to be one of the luckiest peeps I know of. You can surely weld it back together. If you aren't proficient at it, you should let an experienced welder do it. The way you weld is important.
i think it broke because i welded it to hot and it messed the frames structural integrity up, i will have it done professionaly, i just dont want it to break again, my frame is so thin, it gets its strength from the frames shape, being tubulair,

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
You welded the bike frame? Why? Any pics?
i welded it because i wanted my engine mount to be solid, just a little tack, my camera crapped out again, whats that the 5th time its done that in this thread? so i have no pictures, its in at a professional welding shop getting fixed as we speak,