clutch stuff

GoldenMotor.com

sojudave

Oct 18, 2008
austin tx
I'm lazy. I got three weedwhacker motors and I know those clutches are weak. I found this clutch stuff: 49cc clutch shoes, gas scooter clutch shoes, pocket bike clutch shoes, 2 spring clutch pads for gas scooters, 43cc engine clutch shoes, 36cc gas engine clutch shoes, roketa scooter clutch shoes, sunl scooter clutch shoes.

Do you guys think this would be able to replace the stock clutches? I don't really want to do friction drive and use an actuating lever or anything like that. I want to run these little engine via chain.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Without measuring everything there is no way of knowing if those would fit. You be better off buying a whole clutch with a sprocket on it.

bikeradam

Dec 6, 2008
Glasgow
Dude, im totally with you on this one.
Im currently looking for a way to drive my bike, too, and i think the clutch is the best answer..

I don't like the idea of a friction drive, as the bike'll probably end up camping with us a lot, and that involves poor tracks and mud, and i don't know if friction will be up to the job.

I had a look at those clutches, but i would like to see them offered with the bell, too.

davesmotors. com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.3821/.f
(take out the space)

I think that one is better for my build. Can you just buy any bell and it will fit, well, for a pocketbike, obviously ?

Well, if you wanna mate, we can work on this together, cause i think the ideas are the same..

Good luck,
Adam.

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
I was thinking on just this problem on my way to the DayJob today. The real issue with the whacker clutches is that the drum is usually made cheaply. But the older whackers had nicer clutch drums, i've got 2 such whackers in my garage

So what if on an older whacker you made a slip over spacer that fits over the square shaft, uses 2 set screws to hold it in place, straight through the shaft in 2 places and then the sprocket, like one from sickbikeparts fits over that spacer? You could either use set screws OR a key to hold the sprocket in place.

bikeradam

Dec 6, 2008
Glasgow
I dont really understand the above idea. But iv never seen a WW clutch, so i dont know what im up against.

Iv been looking into the mini moto clutches, and the pocket bike clutches, and i think that might be the best option, for both of us..

The problem with my engine is that the shaft was pretty small, but i was trawling through eBay, and found a mini moto clutch with a pretty small looking hole; (12mm), by the looks of it?

Anyways, i thought i would need to buy the shoes, and the bell housing, too. I think thats right. And then you have to get the bell to sit over the shoes, without them rubbing, and get the shoes to lock onto the shaft ?

I dont know how that can work, without moto engine mounts?

The housing:
http:// cgi.ebay.co.uk/MINI-MOTO-3rd-BEARING-CLUTCH-BELL-HOUSING-WITH-6-TOOTH_W0QQitemZ230159293651QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Sporting_Goods_Pocket_Bikes_LE?hash=item230159293651&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1298|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A2|240%3A1318

The shoes (adjustable):
http:// cgi.ebay.co.uk/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330262152690
(i had to put spaces in, im not allowed to post links)

I didnt choose the adjustables just cause, i think the hole looks about right for me.

Any light on these clutches? Any good?

Adam.