Special Microlon engine treatment testing

GoldenMotor.com

crmachineman

May 24, 2012
New Hampshire
Hi everybody
I'm excited, yet nervous about the testing I'm going to start with a compound I've used before on various applications.
The secret compound is called "Microlon".
You can buy it on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/14042478963...NX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_1885wt_906
I just installed a new motor in my test bike because I had a wrist pin bearing failure in one of my high performance motors. I believe I inadvertently leaned out the mixture when I started testing a new muffler design.
A high performance 2 stroke engine will destroy itself fast if the fuel system is not tuned properly.

Anyway, this Microlon compound is very interesting. It is a one time metal treatment which lasts pretty much indefinitely.
Yeah, but how do you know it really works?
In the past, I have conducted real tests, and it definitely does!
It really reduces friction, for sure!
I have tested the compound in a 44 magnum pistol barrel which I had trouble with lead getting fouled in the rifling.
When I treated the barrel with the Microlon, the rifling stopped getting fouled with lead from the bullets, and it never fouled with lead ever again!
Another test I performed was in a vintage Volvo transmission which had a one way "sprag" clutch which started slipping after I treated the transmisssion. The solution required me to disassemble the tranny and mechanically remove the compound from the surfaces of the clutch drum by lightly sanding it with scotch brite abrasive.
So, what makes me nervous about the tests?
Well, rolling element bearings require a certain amount of friction in order to function properly.
In other words, the rolling elements of a bearing must rotate in order for the bearing to survive.
If a rolling element skids, it will likely destroy the bearing very quickly!
I just ordered a bottle of the Microlon and will test it right away when it comes in.
If the engine self destructs in a few weeks, then I will know Microlon is not good for two stoke motors.
On the other hand if several weeks go by with no failures, I think things might be good. I suspect there might be a slight increase in power due to a lowering of friction between the piston and cylinder.

My high performance motors are really producing awesome power; now my test bike is very fast (45 MPH+) and I'm not using a shift kit. It just doesn't seem like a shift kit could survive the power of one of my engines.
With this much power, less than optimal lubrication will result in bearing failures, as I have recently learned first hand.

So, in a few weeks, I'll post some results; I'm crossing my fingers!

-Fred
laff

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I think it's perfectly alright to test things to destruction. That's the best way to figure out the limits.

I don't think microlon will hurt the bearings, but I'm not too wild about what it might do to the cylinder walls. Be sure and do before and after compression tests.

crmachineman

May 24, 2012
New Hampshire
Hi.
Well, I've been using it in my engines for about 4 months. Have not had any problems. I've had experience with it lowering friction. So, I think it's pretty good stuff.
-Fred

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I had some good results from coating my dirtbike pistons back in the day...We used a low-friction coating on the sides of the piston and a heat-reflective surface on the top. Cost a lot but seemed to make it a little more reliable. I doubt it would be very noticeable in a china girl. I'd just use synthetic oil instead .

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
The one thing that makes me leery of these engine treatment potions is they all eventually break down and some varieties sluff off in chunks.
I have heard bad things about Slick50, Pro-Long, ect after 10,000 miles or so.
Now given, this concern comes from auto engines with teeny oil passages, hydraulic tappets, filters and pumps that get clogged up with the gunk and not these small splash oiled engines. Perhaps these engines could benefit for the long haul due to their splash oiling system?

glennbo

Aug 24, 2010
HAMMOND
i wonder how it would work on the bronze bushing of a cintrifugal clutch? anyone ever try it on that??