GoldenMotor.com

robwizard

May 3, 2012
North West, UK
Last edited:

robwizard

May 3, 2012
North West, UK
Not a great deal of pawn shops around my area.. not decent ones anyway. I was looking at the worksman wheels and they are a fair amount wider than what I have been able to find.. do you think 26"x1.75 is wide enough?

Thanks

Longshot270

May 8, 2012
Texas
Wide enough tire? IMO, no. I'd start at 2.125 which is about the max for many bike frames (like mine). By putting the biggest tire you can you smooth out the ride by not needing as much air pressure, slightly decrease the final drive ratio (increased speed) but you may see a decrease in overall power. But I also like the look of a fat tire on a narrower rim to give it that balloon tire look.

This was my bike with a schwinn 26x1.95 in the back

This is with my new Kenda Kruiser 26x2.125 in the back and the schwinn up front.

Based on what I've seen of the old boardtrack racers, I'd say the fatter tire looks better.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
I would try to find the 1.75" wheel if you plan on running the larger tires avaliable these days. I have 3.0x24 tires on a build and the 1.75 rims are the way to go. If you are always going to run tires of the smaller sizes then the 1.5s are fine. I would favor the MTB wheels.