shift kit grabing chain

GoldenMotor.com

damo99

Mar 29, 2011
australia
i have a sbp shift kit and a 8 speed derailleur.
it has been running great up till about a week ago when it started grabing the chain when it was reved hard.
now it grabs hold of the chain and sort of jumps the derailleur .all the time.
i have changed the chain twice the wheel (gear cluster ).and had a good look at the deraileur .
has any body else had this trouble with there **** kit
i have a grubee gt-5 with expansion chamber ,ported ,programable cdi and seprate coil,and delorto copy carby .

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
I would guess it has something to do with the chainline.With that many gears you are really changing the chainline.In 4th is it centered with the front sprocket?If not contact Jim at SBP he will help you.

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
Sounds to me like your derrailer needs adjusting.

Ride around with engine off and shift through the gears a lot of times while peddling hard.
If it skips out of gear, or to a gear that it's not supposed to be in you need to re- index your shifter/derrailer

Your cable is probably stretched over time and either need adjusting or replacing.

Don't flip out... Don't blame the kit. It's usually something you need to be aware of doing to keep it adjusted, aligned or tweaked to make it just right.

Go here and review how to adjust that derrailer..It will help
Derailer Adjustment

I've had a shift kit for 2 1/2 years and have overcome every conceivable problem there is..It's a great add on if you know and understand how to keep it running right.

TiM

damo99

Mar 29, 2011
australia
thanks for the replys .when pedaling it shifts perfect as i have been using it as a normal bike the last few days .
my next thing i'm going to try is put a set of hub gears on see if that changes anything . all the chains have been adjusted
i might have to email sbp

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
meaning that the shifter on the handle might be set @ first gear but your derailer is not quite laying the chain in first gear.
it may be in between 1st & 2nd.
cables stretch so it tends to move.

have the bike so the rear tire is in the air.
use your hand to crank the peddles while looking to see the difference between what gear it should be in & where the chain is trying to track.
usually there is an adjustment screw on the shifter (also known as the indexer)
you may or may not have to tighten the cable @ the derailer.
try hand peddling through all the gears even though if the first & last gear are good the rest should be fine.
unless you are using a using different indexers to derailers or cassette. (the cassette is your gears on the rear tire)

after an adjustment may lead to another adjustment when you are riding it that day.