Help w/ Custom Chain Tensioner

GoldenMotor.com

Tcams

Oct 18, 2009
Tucson, ZonieLand
Ok so I stole this chain tensioner idea from Floridaboy's Electra Coaster Build because that is the same bike im building and so I dont have to use the crap stock tensioner.

Im using a 1/8th in. Steel plate and I have a question: How should secure it to both the top and bottom of the chain stay.

Im not sure what floridaboy used but it looks like Zip ties and I do not wanna go that route. I was thinking about these hose clamps, but I wanted to see if there was anything that you guys think would work the best.

What else could I use?

Please help me out.

Attachments

andrewg225

Jul 19, 2009
ontairo
what's about some really strong wire , or use some storng flexable metel clamp it to the the holes useing some bolts to suport it

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
what's about some really strong wire , or use some storng flexable metel clamp it to the the holes useing some bolts to suport it
A metal clamp is what I was going to suggest.

I like to use these for gas tanks that have a big top tube and stock clamps are too small. I also use the to hold the brake arm on coaster brakes among other things. They come in all sizes.

Attachments

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
if you have 4 old chain tensioners laying around, you could use the stock metal clamps offa them. or maybe find something like them at a good hardware store. then that thing wouldn't go nowhere.

or get some scrap aluminum, like 1/16", cut out 2 squares, then beat them with a hammer around a pipe to make them rounded to fit over the frame stays, drill some holes and bolt them up.

Tcams

Oct 18, 2009
Tucson, ZonieLand
Im gonna use my steel plate with a skate wheel on one side just like floridaboy's, and Im going to get some of those clamps.

I want to use aluminum because Its way lighter than this hunk of steel, but I cant get scraps till I get my mount from Jim so I can be free again. But for now the steel is gonna have to work.

Thanks for the ideas guys. Im goin with the clamps.

Sharksfan

Nov 28, 2009
San Jose, CA.
A metal clamp is what I was going to suggest.

I like to use these for gas tanks that have a big top tube and stock clamps are too small. I also use the to hold the brake arm on coaster brakes among other things. They come in all sizes.

I have also used these to great success. If you find they are a little large I used an old leather belt as a spacer.

Tcams

Oct 18, 2009
Tucson, ZonieLand
haha Im just going to use the clamps because my bike is an aluminum frame and Id rather keep it the way it is.

Ive seen some of your vids and you have one sick bike. I was wondering if you are capable of porting an HT Jug for me. I will bring 2 40 Oz's:)

lowroller

Feb 26, 2010
calif.
MICKEYS.....DID YOU SAY 40 OZ? I dont have a motor on my felt,its bein built but when I ride I ride with MICKEYS. It doesnt have a motor but the mickeys makes it look like it could from the couch!

foureasy

Jul 9, 2009
tucson
forty bucks, but you will need to bring the motor off the bike, or be prepared to take the top end off. these motors are so inconsistent that you have to put a degree wheel on for each cylinder. every "replacement" piston/cylinder that i have bought had a different piston with a lower wristpin height, so that needs to be checked as well. ill be at my shop on sunday if you wanna cruise by and ill show you what needs to be done.

Tcams

Oct 18, 2009
Tucson, ZonieLand
Tcams,

You are not going to need an engine side chain tensioner on that frame.

I bought one yesterday to mock-up your engine mounts. I like this bike, so I will be doing the complete build-up. You'll see what I'm talking about when it's finished.

Jim

Jim, Im going to be using the 2.5" Tires that came with my bike if I can, So will there be any problem with alignment or tire rubbing on the engine chain.

Guess Ill find out.