Gas tanks are us

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I just turned a carb cleaner can into a gas tank. Don't do this at home lol.

Make really really sure all the propellant is out if you do. I just drilled the top out and forced the male end of a coke type bottle into the opening with some epoxy to make it secure. I am going to use a single line right down through the cap.

I might try to get a gas filter into it but I have about decided that since I use a small jar of premix, I might just put the filter in it and siphon it into the tank. If I filter it there, I shouldn't need to filter it from the gas tank as well. I would be able to use tanks with smaller opening, if I didn't have to fit a filter through there. I think the inline filters might not be such a good thing for the small gas lines. I have had all kinds of trouble every time I use one. I can't pin it down to that but it might be the problem.

So now I have one from a propane tank a quart of gas.... the carb cleaner holds about a pint and a half of gas. Also a two quart one from a plastic canteen. Pretty diverse I would say.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Okay the simple DIY gas tank for your alternate engine bike.

There are two models of the gas tank from a can builds.

The first one is for my scout bike that I'm building the second is on my test bike frame. Whatever I put on it will use that tank.

On the scout tank I used a windshield deicer can I found in the back of my car. You know the one I haven't started but once this year. The one on the test bike is an empty carburetor cleaner can.

It's real simple make darn sure that the can is empty. Then drill a hole through the top for the vertical tank. Jb weld the top off a coke bottle, the threaded part which is a lot stronger than you think, over the opening. Then drill a hole through the cap to run your fuel tank line into. You are going to have to enlarge your hole to a pretty good size to get a filter through if you go that way. I didn't I'm going to filter my gas with a coffee filter in the funnel.

For the scout tank, I emptied it, drilled a hole in the side, cleaned it out good, then J B welded the top of a coke bottle to it as well. Again I will run the gas line through the cap.

What to do with that second fuel line you ask. Well so far I have capped mine off but I think I will buy a vacuum connector for a car one with three connectors and just put it in the single gas line from the tank and both from the engine on it. I think that should work. I already use those as a two way connector for the gas lines.

Last edited: