Bolt on Disc Brakes for a Cruiser

GoldenMotor.com

kdaddy1980

May 22, 2013
Ohio

Im putting a jackshaft on my new project, its a huffy sante fe cruiser. i wanted to put rear disk brakes on it because im going to be going a lot faster with my jackshaft kit.

I bought this disc brake kit from a guy out of Cincinnatti, he said the disk would bolt to the sprocket somehow. The sprocket has extra holes which look like the are drilled correctly for the disk to mount on but they are not placed the same. To fit, they would have to be drilled or ground out. But, even if the holes lined up the disk would be too close to the sprocket for the caliper to fit in between them. So, i thought about just cutting the outer portion of the sprocket off and then mounting the disk to the sprocket. the disk would have to be aligned fairly well once mounted with the rubber sandwich for the disk not to hit the pads, there is only a little over 1/8" gap between the pads.

A wheel with a disk brake hub is 80 bucks, and if i wanted to just buy the hub it would be even more.so i spent 35 bucks on this contraption and im still contemplating on how exactly it will mount.

the threads of the mounting nut fit right onto a rear hub where the cassette screws on. my front fork will fit a rear hub and i could build the wheel around it for the front but my fear is that if this thing breaks, and locks up on me (on the front) most likely im gonna be ejected over the handlebars and be lucky enough not to be ran over by a car. but if it was on the rear it would probly just skid to a stop or maybe slide out, but id rather that then be tossed in the air 20 feet or so.

suggestions? thoughts? opinions? do you think there is any way im going to get away with not buying a new wheel or hub for it? what if i could thread the left side of the rear hub and screw it right on, i dont know of anyone with capability of doing that but it seems like it would be a simple solution.
scratg

kdaddy1980

May 22, 2013
Ohio
so ive abandoned the whole " bolt it to the sprocket" idea and just went ahead and spent the money to get a disk brake wheel and my disk will just bolt right on to it (hopefully) it was a little cheaper than i thought it would be, the bike shop told me 80 but it was 76 so i was happy. i had to order it though and it will come to the shop in a few days.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
suggestions? thoughts? opinions? do you think there is any way im going to get away with not buying a new wheel or hub for it?
1. Dump the Huffy and get a bike with discs and gears to start with.

Both those builds went well over 40 MPH, how far I don't know but dual discs on a single dual pull lever made it stop quick.

2. Or... Put a telescoping front fork with disc and V caliper brake bosses for front disc or V and just put a C side pull brake on the back and hope that Huffy back hub holds up.

That was not jackshafted so the coaster brake still worked but acts as a backup brake to the two rim brakes.

In short my opinion is don't start with a $100 turd because no matter how much you spend trying to improve a turd it will always be little more than pile of poop.

Last edited:

kdaddy1980

May 22, 2013
Ohio
In short my opinion is don't start with a $100 turd because no matter how much you spend trying to improve a turd it will always be little more than pile of poop.

my turd does a good 35,its still going good at 2000 miles.bike and has old school rim brakes and stops just fine. but im planning on pushing the poop to whole new level, so i must compensate accordingly. just going to trust in my work and see what happens. if it fails ill make modifications if not, im golden.

i picked the huffy sante fe because it blends into my surroundings good, did i mention its basically illegal to ride a motorized bike where i live? and i dont have a license either.so im trying to be low key as possible, ive got covers on the side to shield the engine and i always cut the engine and pedal when i see a cop. if i was riding one of those bikes i would get busted for sure. my chopper got impounded and there was 4 other motorized bikes along with it, the guy said they all came in within the last week.the heat is all over these things.

anyways... all in all, i want people to think its a turd, but to be able to haul ass if i need to..just because it looks and smells like a turd doesnt mean that it is. it could be milk chocolate inside laff

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
anyways... all in all, i want people to think its a turd, but to be able to haul ass if i need to..just because it looks and smells like a turd doesnt mean that it is. it could be milk chocolate inside laff
I like that, my home shop looks like a huge turd front to back until you walk in the shop where it is indeed filled with fine chocolate, it just doesn't look that way from the outside so as not attractive to would be thugs ;-}

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
1. Dump the Huffy and get a bike with discs and gears to start with.

Grandpa always said you call polish a turd all you want but in the end all you end up with is a shiny peice of ****.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Two schools of thought here;
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time, and annoys the pig."
or
"Who knows? The pig might sing."
I say build what you like and can afford.
My personal bike is fairly high-end, but I have had excellent results from Wallyworld s^&tpiles too. The builder is far more important to the life of the bike than what you start with.
It's best to build the best quality bike possible, but don't let a cheap bike stop you from doing it.
My POS Next,steel rim,cheap,brakes one,piece crank,rock hard tired bought used and abused motorized bicycle was recently sold with well over 10k miles on it.
Present owner happy as a clam and riding it every day.
Still.
Total cost of that build?
Under $250 bucks COMPLETE

No matter how you slice it, this bike was a low-grade chain store POS, yet it made a wonderfully reliable motorbike because it was built and ridden with proper care.
Do your homework and build it right and ANY bike can give you great results.
Just my 2 cents.

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
I am surprised that no one has made a cantilever beach frame cruiser with disc setups.

Bicycle designer sells a raw frame for $69.00 and a disc brake fork for $59.00 at retail prices. Their frame is too short, but Custom Motorized Bicycles use to sell a raw frame for $79 that is 1/2" longer than a Schwinn. They sell a painted frame for $99.79.

How much are the frame and forks wholesale? $35 for the frame and $35 for the forks? Probably have to buy 20 or more.

Someone with tools could build a better frame with rear disc mounts, horizontal chainstays, additional tube inside the seat tube, additional supports on the chainstay and rear forks. Make a custom tank and sell for under $300.00.

Chris
AKA: BigBlue