your first car

GoldenMotor.com

...ladies

Jan 27, 2009
Ohio
First Car...

I'm getting my first car here in two months or so and i'v narrowed it down to the mitsubishi 3000gt, and mitsubishi eclipse (2g) turbo. I'll post pictures of both for those who don't know.

http://www.ssip.net/upload/mitsubishi-3000gt-vr4-front-1_212.jpg

3000gt, Its a 222hp V6, front wheel drive.
Pros: Great styling, Unique
Cons: Slow, not alot of aftermarket parts

http://images.automotive.com/stock/300/MITSUBISHI/ECLIPSE/1999/3CO.JPG

Eclipse, 215hp 4cyl turbo, front wheel drive.
Pros: Fast, lots of aftermarket parts, good looking
Cons: Common, "punk" reputation

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Re: First Car...

Ladies,
Ever hear of an American made car? Ford, Chevy, Dodge?
Those rice rockets are for kids...oh, wait, you are a kid....sorry.
Tom

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO

first car should always be something crappy. I am a firm believer that new drivers should NOT have fast cars.

I had an 87 Buick Century for my first car. When I was 19 I bought an 86 Mustang and had that thing going fast (around 300hp or so). Now I'm grown up (heh, kinda - 25, married, homeowner) and have an 04 SRT-4.

Honestly, I would not have trusted myself with that Mustang at 16. Baaaad news. I actually got rear-ended when I was 17 by a kid driving a Mustang. Kids and fast cars do not mix.

Do yourself a favor and just by a crappy slower car till you get comfortable driving. I know it sounds dumb and lame, but it really is the best way. I've seen too many teens wrecking their fast cars because they don't know how to properly handle them. At 16 or 17 you may THINK you are all that and a bag of chips and can handle anything, but you really can't. There's nothing like a few years of experience before getting something that can get you into trouble real fast.

Just my $0.02

POPS

Sep 8, 2008
Vancouver Island BC .Canada

My first car was a 1957 chev, 4 door hard top ( no post ) 283,cam,home made butterfly headers,750 carter,buckets,muncie m21 4 speed with hurst shifter. Man...the GOOD OLD DAYS...POPS

DOC BOLM

Aug 21, 2008
Mississippi

My first car was a 1957 chev, 4 door hard top ( no post ) 283,cam,home made butterfly headers,750 carter,buckets,muncie m21 4 speed with hurst shifter. Man...the GOOD OLD DAYS...POPS
Dont you wish you still had it,BIG BUCKS today.HD

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan

No doubt, my first car was a '72 Barracuda with round tail lights. Although it only had a 318 in it, I wish I would've stashed it away. I've had some really great vehicles, that today would bring a pretty penny for, but oh well......................drive 'em til they die and send them to the wrecker!

....Ladies, it doesn't really matter what you wish to own IMHO, but I'd have to agree with the fact that it would be good to own something not so great at first. Reason being, you're new to the driving experience. You will have mishaps. You will misjudge your stopping distance at one point and hit something. You will learn like the rest of us. And, one day, when you have lived to experience our age group, You WILL offer the same advice to someone, as we are offering to you.

I should know. I was young and "on top of the world" too and nobody could tell me anything!

Funny how wisdom is achieved!

Anyway, if you get that car, enjoy it because it's only a car and always remember.....the only way you're going to keep that thing in it's original pristine condition, is to park it in a garage and never drive it. Once you drive it off the lot, it loses value. Then as time goes on, things begin to wear out. At the end, it becomes nothing more than a big pain in the butt!

Buy something cheap and drive it til it dies.

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado

Ladies,
Ever hear of an American made car? Ford, Chevy, Dodge?
Those rice rockets are for kids...oh, wait, you are a kid....sorry.
Tom
I'm right along with you with the there's no replacement for displacement because I've driven a 1970 426 Hemi Challenger friend let me behind the wheel after I towed it 50 miles to his home from the impound yard and after he took care of his tags I don't care if people don't believe me 3rd to 4th shift going 60 MPH on dry pavement on the highway I broke traction. Of course it had not 4:11 gears but a bit lower than stock and the gearbox was modified but man was that a beast to this day I've strived to get one that thing must be priceless by now sadly I lost touch. And back then I had also owned a 4 cylinder Pinto 1974 and I took real good care of that car but it was sloooow.

Fast forward to my son turning 16 and chatting with his friends. We started talking about displacement and one of his friends asked me to jump in his car. It's a Neon 4 cylinder FWD with some head work no turbo.

MAN.

Fast is not the word. He done 13 in the quarter mile at Badamiere and we're a mile high up here.

I'm with Jason as far as just get a stock DEPENDABLE car to get you to work and back. Because you WILL be spending $$$$$ on head gaskets those 4 bangers are not indestructible. Opening up your exhaust may sound way cool but will wear out your sensors that check engine light WILL be your friend.
I'm telling you this from experience for my son has spent major $$$$ on his admittedly fast ride.

But sometimes you have to learn the hard way which my son is soon finding out so I'll answer your question.

The Eclipse Turbo. 10's on the quarter mile with head work if you got the $$$$$.

But you better check EVERYTHING particularly for a cracked exhaust manifold. These seem common. And turbo's aren't indestructible either.

Last edited:

...ladies

Jan 27, 2009
Ohio

Lots of replies which is great. And pretty much exactly what i expected.. buy a crappy car. I still have a month or two so i'll be thinking. Although leaning toward the 3000gt. Looks better and SLOWER for you guys worried about speed. The 3000gt isn't a fast car if its not the twin turbo. And guys, i'm seriously not the sterotypical teenage driver. If i got a POS car i would definitly be more unconsiderate of how i drive. I will be getting a nice car reguardless of how bad of a decision everybody thinks, not to seem rude, just cars are a big thing to me. A project, a way to show off what i can do. Its a means of transportation. And its a status symbol in my opinion. Neat first cars you guys have though

...ladies

Jan 27, 2009
Ohio

I'm right along with you with the there's no replacement for displacement because I've driven a 1970 426 Hemi Challenger friend let me behind the wheel after I towed it 50 miles to his home from the impound yard and after he took care of his tags I don't care if people don't believe me 3rd to 4th shift going 60 MPH on dry pavement on the highway I broke traction. Of course it had not 4:11 gears but a bit lower than stock and the gearbox was modified but man was that a beast to this day I've strived to get one that thing must be priceless by now sadly I lost touch. And back then I had also owned a 4 cylinder Pinto 1974 and I took real good care of that car but it was sloooow.

Fast forward to my son turning 16 and chatting with his friends. We started talking about displacement and one of his friends asked me to jump in his car. It's a Neon 4 cylinder FWD with some head work no turbo.

MAN.

Fast is not the word. He done 13 in the quarter mile at Badamiere and we're a mile high up here.

I'm with Jason as far as just get a stock DEPENDABLE car to get you to work and back. Because you WILL be spending $$$$$ on head gaskets those 4 bangers are not indestructible. Opening up your exhaust may sound way cool but will wear out your sensors that check engine light WILL be your friend.
I'm telling you this from experience for my son has spent major $$$$ on his admittedly fast ride.

But sometimes you have to learn the hard way which my son is soon finding out so I'll answer your question.

The Eclipse Turbo. 10's on the quarter mile with not too much work if you got the $$$$$.

But you better check EVERYTHING particularly for a cracked exhaust manifold. These seem common. And turbo's aren't indestructible either.
Ya i think i'm opting for the 3000gt. I need looks and reliablity over speed. Just an FYI i hate the open exhuast "fart cans" on all imports. Ha i really hate american cars no offense :) The 3000gt is a 6cly with a larger downpipe and borla or flowmaster mufflers it actually does sound like the precious V8 ;)

I'm really not the cocky arrogant type but i do believe i am capable of driving either one of these cars. I have driven basicly anything you can think of and seem to take well to learning their capabilities. Snow mobiles, Jet skis (thats my stand up in my avatar), boats, motorcycles, plenty of other manual cars, quads, go carts (racing and off road), and ofcourse the precious motorbike :)

Last edited:

...ladies

Jan 27, 2009
Ohio

Good for you! Remember. KEEP EVERYTHING STOCK!!

You want to spend money get some boom boom and some graphics on your body but keep your mechanicals STOCK!
Ya i know what your saying. Alot of people think that 3000gt's are very unreliable. Which is partly true. Because the twin turbos aren't reliable at all. The naturaly aspirated (one i would get) is just fine. I mean i always like to make everything i go faster but i'm not going to invest in pointless engine parts for it to get 10 more whp out of it if anything i will get a better sounding exhuast and interrior parts.. certainly not some tacky graphics :p ... keep it classy. Its truely a beautiful car.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO

Ya i think i'm opting for the 3000gt. ... Ha i really hate american cars no offense

The 3000gt is a 6cly with a larger downpipe and borla or flowmaster mufflers it actually does sound like the precious V8
Um, isn't the 3000gt essentially the same as the DODGE stealth? :)

Also, a) there is a HUGE difference between the sound of Borla and the sound of Flowmaster. I had Borlas on the mustang, and have a Borla resonator on my SRT-4. Flowmaster is junk compared to Borla. B) A v6 will never sound like a v8 - ever :)

Honestly I miss my v8 and would love to have one again sometime just for a "fun" car, but I've gotta say...a turbo 4cyl is just pure sex to drive :)

...ladies

Jan 27, 2009
Ohio

Ha its a much better looking dodge stealth ;) and i know borla is alot raspier, but the flowmasters do sound like a V8, not a fully hot-rodded v8 but just a stock v8. Youtube it lol. I like the exterrior of the SRT-4's just the interrior seemed kinda... bla. Other than the racing seats.

Ps. Their all mitsubishi's the stealth is the knock off of the 3000gt. And i think the neon is included in the DSM catagory. I know the 420a's are. Is the SRT-4 just a turbo 420a?