Kill Switch anyone?

GoldenMotor.com

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
Well this is a really funny story and it's no fun unless it's shared, so here goes.

For a long time my motor bike was not running. Last Friday my buddy and I were working on his motor bike and we went by my house in his truck and got mine. We spent the afternoon getting his motor bike running and I got mine ready to run also. His fired up with no problems and I had finally finished getting mine ready.
I test rode it with no gas to make sure the chain wasn't going to jump the sprocket and it was perfect. Everything was perfect so we put a little gas in and a tad extra oil since it had been so long since the motor ran. We both tried to start my bike several times over about an hour and a half or so, with no joy at all.

We decided to check for a spark. No spark so I unscrew the plug wire for the CDI and notice the end could use a little work and show my buddy. He said "Yea clip the end and fix that better". As I was screwing the now fixed plug wire back into the CDI my buddy was looking at my wiring. His thoughts as he related to me later were, "OK his wires are right since they are still shrink wrapped" "o wow, he's got a kill switch". Then he asks me "Shouldn't we turn the kill switch on?"

Yep you got it, we had tried for over an hour to start the bike with the kill switch in the off position. I spent the next 5 minutes laughing at myself, then turned the switch on and the bike fired right up no problems at all.

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
It used to be embarrassing but these days I just laugh at myself. I do make changes though. Now when I shut the motor off, I simply flip the kill switch off then right back on when the motor dies.
I forget things a lot now so I make adjustments.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
When I had the china kit bike mine was gone first thing, I just choked the carb out when I needed to kill the bike for a while, then I put a real switch in the circuit.

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
This kill switch is one I got real cheap from Radio Shack. It is an actual on/off switch. I had read about those stock kill switches and never installed the one on my kit when it came, instead I got the good one from Radio Shack.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL Nunya. Done that, forget all the time to turn the gas on and wonder why I am stalling and can't tell you how many times I had to peddle home or to the store 'cause I forgot to gas up.

Checking for spark once, had a good one. So peddle, pop. Peddle, pop....nothing. Seems you have to put the plug back in for them to work. Cheap foreign stuff! lol

charles.paskell

Feb 25, 2010
NC
ive encountered these problems myself EX; i turn my fuel off every time i go into the store,or if ill be sitting in one place for a while then ill take off with the fuel off ill get like 50 feet or so and the motor cuts off LOL i usually can open the fuel line before it completly shuts down.