New guy in Illinois.

GoldenMotor.com

sith_ranger

Mar 8, 2016
Lawrence County
Hey all. Working on my first build and using a 79cc Predator. Not sure about gearing. Was thinking about using a direct drive 10/62 combo but also thinking about jackshaft with a 10/22/9/? setup. Just don't know what sprocket to use on the wheel to get me to around 40-45 mph. This will be a engine powered only bike. If this needs to be posted elsewhere, let me know and I'll move it. Thanks.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Welcome aboard. There's a handful of us Illinoisans (Illini?) on this forum. But I don't recognize Lawrence county.

As an intro post, you're not in the wrong spot at all. But for input on your particular build you might want to browse headlines in the 'non-kit' section. It's likely that you'll find many of your questions answered there.

Best of luck and have fun.

I would advise you, though, to re-think the idea of 40-45 mph on a bicycle. They're just not made for that. But I won't carry on with that in an intro post. I'll just leave it as some food for thought.

sith_ranger

Mar 8, 2016
Lawrence County
LOL yeah, been rethinking that after my first post now just gunnin for 30mph. Thinking I can get it with a 10/22/9/36 combo. that should net me 32mph with 26" tires. Right?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum. And as was said, you posted in the right place for your introduction.

I'll also take this opportunity to pass on a warning. Your original speed goals aren't impossible, just not advisable unless and until you have addressed the important areas first. Remember that it's a bicycle, with bicycle rims, tires, spokes, bearings and especially brakes. None of them meant or designed for continuous speeds in the 40s.

Dropping big displacement engines in a bike frame is only half the job. The other half is seeing to it that the rest of the bike is up to the task you're asking of it.

Reconsider your speed needs, at least until you have built your first bike and have a feel for what's safe.

Good luck and have fun but be careful.

Tom

biker61

Mar 31, 2016
Siloam Springs, ar
My predator build will do about 35,but that's only when a big dog is chasing me,that's scary fast on a bicycle and dangerous.I most usually cruise along about 20-25.I use a cvt type trans.I think a jackshaft might have been a better way to go.