My 66cc flying horse engine wont start!

GoldenMotor.com

brian_dub

Sep 13, 2012
boise, id
I got everything on my bike the other day and I put 16:1 fuel in it. It would not start. I am getting spark. fuel is in float bowl. the clutch is good. The motor just makes a "thup thup thup" noise when i pop clutch but thats it. I have tried going faster to no avail. What is wrong!!! Also would the spark plug gapprevent this? should I buy a new spark plug?

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Well, you can mix your gas and oil at 32:1 for one thing. Then, if that doesn't work, try adjusting the carb. You need to say what carb you have.

Patients is a virtue!

brian_dub

Sep 13, 2012
boise, id
they said to start at 16:1 and it is one of the really simple carburetors. It is just like it does even act like it wants to start no puttering or anything

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Whoever "they" are is wrong. That's ancient chinese bad info. Use 32:1. Or if you are afraid to do that, at least mix it at 24:1, which is still too much oil.

You can't set a very good baseline on your carb with a 16:1 mix.

Anyway, set the C clip on the second notch from the top of the needle.

See what happens.

P.S., does it fire with ether (engine starting fluid)?

brian_dub

Sep 13, 2012
boise, id
i havent tried using ether and it doesnt work with that c clip position. Do you think it could be a problem with air intake or spark plug?

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
So you got spark,fuel and there's air that's the only thing left for these engines. Well change plug first thing and try it.. Let's try to keep it simple check the head bolts and see if there torqued to specs,don't just go tighten it by hand you can break stuff use a torque wrench in inch pounds.If that don't help will go somewhere else.Just let us know and will we give you some more stuff to try.

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
don't even go there yet. I wouldn't even put a wrench on the head studs at this point.
are you even using the choke when trying to start this engine?
try closing the choke, prime the carb with the button on the side of the carb and try to start it. it may take a few tries, don't expect it to fire right up.
if it still won't start, get yourself some starting fluid and spray a tiny shot directly into the carb with the air filter removed.

try to start it right after you spray it.
if it fires or attempts to fire, then you have a fuel delivery problem.
sure, you have fuel in the bowl, but if the main jet is clogged (or if it fell out) no gas (or too much gas) is getting into the engine.
fuel in the bowl is one thing, but getting that fuel into the engine is another thing.
starting fluid will rule out an ignition problem if it fires on it.
but really, try using the choke to get it started before doing anything else.
16:1 is way too much oil... drain that out and go to 20:1 or 32:1.
a new spark plug will help because the china plug that comes with the kit is pretty much junk. it'll work, but not very well.
check your plug gap (i run mine at around 28-30 thousandths).
if you have fuel, spark, air and compression....it'll run.

brian_dub

Sep 13, 2012
boise, id
so I have been messing with it and I have noticed a few things. It sound like air is coming out of the top near the spark plug when i try to start it. Also I took off the valve connecting the carb to motor and the paper gasket ripped and also the valve was dry.

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
the plug gap is the gap between the center electrode and the ground electrode on the spark plug. The center electrode is the part that comes out of the center of the plug at the bottom and the ground electrode is the tang that's at the bottom of the plug.
set the gap between the 2 at 28-30 thousandths of an inch.
you will need a spark plug gap tool to do this, but you can get them at any auto parts store for about $1.00.

If this gap is too wide, it's hard for the ignition to make the plug spark.
if this gap is too narrow, you will get spark, but it won't be good enough.

what "va;ve" are you talking about? do you mean the intake tube?
the part that bolts to the engine where the carb connects to?
the gasket is nothing more than cardboard, and you will either have to make a new one out of gasket material, or buy a new one.
to be honest, it's cheaper to just go and buy a sheet of gasket material from the auto parts store and make your own.
use the flange on the intake tube to draw out the shape and then cut out your gasket with some scissors or a razor blade.
don't get cork gasket, get something rubberized that is made for carburetors.

takeitez

Dec 19, 2011
Clayton Missouri
Check to see if there is good compression. If you say you think air is rushing out of the engine when you turn it over that is a bad sign. You should replace the acorn nuts on the head with some normal ones.

Next thing to do is try and start the bike. Right after hop off and pull the plug. Check to see if it is black and oily. If it is your fuel is probable not your problem.

How is it that you are testing your spark? Plug with boot held on the side of the engine? If not do that.

Not sure if it has already been mentioned but disconnect the kill switch to see if that is the problem.

I also second that 20:1 oil is way to much. 32:1 is fine.

Make sure all your wires are done correctly and that your choke on your carb is functioning. (sometimes the lever slips without actually moving the arm that cuts off air.)

Good luck

brian_dub

Sep 13, 2012
boise, id
UPDATE: ok so i have changed the fuel to oil ratio to 32:1 i replaced acorn nuts on cylinder head with normal nuts. I disconected kill switch. I got anew spark plug and gap is right. I tried spraying ether in air filter but it still wont fire. the spark plug was not black and oily after i pedaled it around awhile either.