GT2 vs GT5 pros cons? 66-48

GoldenMotor.com

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Well, it's quite simple, the GT2 has less displacement than the GT5.

Pros:
GT2 gets better fuel mileage than GT5
GT2 tends to be a smoother engine at high RPM than the GT5
GT2 is closer to most states' legal displacement limit (49CC)

Cons:
GT2 makes about 25-35% less power than GT5
GT2 isn't any cheaper than GT5 most of the time

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
dont buy a GT5 motor there junk mine is parts after only 100 miles with loads of problems getting there such a headache i haven't tried the GT2.i learned tonight that Grubee is built by a new factory that has huge quality problems i would never buy another one of there engines i love my 66cc flying horse its like night and day

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
dude jonny.. every post you whine about your grubee. you shoudlnt forget that this is not about the kit here and other posts, but about the ENGINE. we all know most parts like chain and tensioners in the kids are crap but surely the gt5 cant be as bad as you said. maybe you did something wrong breaking it in. i bought a gt5 too 2 days ago and i had a good engine bottom from dax before which was really good quality compared to the first engine that came on the bike i built up, but there is no way it can be THAT bad. i will let you know in a couple of days but to read the same post of you in a 100 threads is a little annoying. im sure the engine is pretty good - the ENGINE not kit parts.

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
i have replaced most of that crappy little motor and it still gave me problems also i dont like kits that you cant use half of im currently running all of the flying horse kit with no problems 415 chain and all and this post is over a week old

Last edited:

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
What exactly on the ENGINE is crap? I have to admit im a little worried, it seemed to me the Flying horse is just a regular low quality engine compared to Grubee but it's impossible to say without seeing them up close.

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
I already customized almost everything you can imagine around the engine to heavy duty. Lots of stuff custom made so it actually last and gets reliable, that even includes the rear rim and tube of the tire. I ordered the GT5 engine only to replace the broken one I have right now.

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
the head on the shy hawk isnt right i had to put a second head gasket on it to seal it the entire electrical system on mine crapped out the CNS carb was junk i had to pull into the clutch to see why it wasnt engaging properly when i first tryed to start it the plate was greasy and the rubber wasnt grabbing right so it slipped like h3ll i had to have gotten the worst motor they ever built

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
yep rubbers in the clutch where trying to grab on a greasy gear

the head gasket i needed to add a second because the head wasn't strait

the electrical system i needed to replace one peace at a time magneto loop CDI and plug wire

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
when you say rubbers do you mean the clutch pads? i dont rememeber any rubber pieces in the clutch. and the head bottom wasnt even you mean? now that would be very bad quality wise.

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
ok i think its best to take the head off to check the needle bearings too from the piston and the clutch i will take apart anyways. i can imagine there is some rest from the production in there. i hope you know that those engine kits cost 50-60 bucks from factory, so there is not much to expect in quality but i hope my engine is ok. everything around i got fixed and built to my needs. thank you for the tips.

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
no problem i just want people to understand that these motors arnt always drop in and go and the "name" a company has from models it dosent offer anymore isnt always the way they are now from what i understand the GT-4 was a fantastic motor and i wish they kept that quality but they arnt the same people building it the companys name and reputation was sold to someone who dosent care and just wants to make a profit which sucks alot

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
i got fed up with it and bought my new one before i figured out the last few problems with it its on my work bench i might finish fixing it i might tare it down and just use the case and build a custom motor dont know yet

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
everybody just wants to make profit. thats how our world sadly works. but yeah, i dont think ANY kit out there will be without problems for more than 4 weeks straight. but lets see. i should get the engine middle next week and will tell you how mine is. if i see anything weird i want it replaced right away. thank you for the details.

my personal tip or opinion for somebody thinking about to build one of these bikes is: if you are not handy with tools and aren't a creative person, you will have lots of frustration with those cheap kits. but with some customization, they can be really fun. mine is used as a motorcycle now, everything heavy duty and reliable. lets see how the new engine runs and if it really got more power.

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
well knock on wood my flying horse is almost to the 3 week point with no problems and im using all the parts that the kit came with only problem i had was i re used hardware to mount it to the frame and that broke but the engine itself is fantastic thats why i try to let people know who are looking for a kit that its a good one atleast for this year