Newsboy arrived at my house

GoldenMotor.com

andy b.

Jul 14, 2010
PA, USA
The bike I really want to build is something along the lines of a board track racer. In the mean time I have been playing with trying to get a Grubee running in a cheap WalMart Delmar, but that is another story. I called Worksman a few weeks ago and ordered a Newsboy after reading about them here. The bicycle arrived last night and it is beautiful! It is not exactly as I expected. For anyone reading this who would like a Newsboy but has never seen one in person, they appear to be the tanks of bicycles. The rear hub is a Shimano single-speed coaster, and the front hub is the same size as the rear. The spokes on the wheels are literally the same size as the spokes on a few old motorcycles I have. I think these wheels are pretty much the ultimate wheel for a motorbike.

The one point that really came as a surprise was the frame size. I plan on doing the U-tube downtube, and stretching the frame slightly. I was worried that even with the long swept-back handlebars that the frame would be too long. In fact, the opposite might be true. This frame is very short in the stock form. Most of my mountain biking is on technical trails, so I buy bike frames that might be on the small size for me. They are perfect for tight trails and lighter to shift around obstacles when riding. If I was going to turn a generic bike frame into a small, technical mountain bike, the Newsboy would be the perfect frame. It almost needs to be stretched, and if you are going to use the long swept handlebars, you will have to lengthen the frame.

This should be a very fun build. I plan on using a 4-stroke, but have not decided on which one yet. That was my reason for getting the Grubee kit, since it will be at least a winter project for this Newsboy, and I need something to tinker with in the mean time. Thanks to all who have been posting Newsboy and board track builds for the inspiration!!

andy b.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Hi Andy,
Sounds like the start of a fun build. I hear what your saying about the frames being small. Even the Grubee two stroke is a tight fit. I have a couple old three bar BMX cruisers, late 70's early 80's stuff, so when I look at a Worksman frame I feel like throwing a tuff neck and some old BMX bars on it and taking it for nice thrash session around the neighborhood. Definately a strong frame and the wheels are second to none.