80ccmotorboys vendor review,

GoldenMotor.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

Motor Boys

Nov 6, 2009
Cambridge
Glad all is well msofar for ya Linnix, We are running LOW on the 4 strokes at the moment, only have a few left they have been very popular. Also we do have half links availible had I have know I would have brought you one down.
Take it easy my friend and have fun.

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
no problem, i still havnt made the run up the mountain to school yet, im going to wait until its fully broken in, but i will be putting this engine to good use, so i hope it holds up, but so far so good, i would tell the people who buy these engines to remove the oil that came in the gearbox and replace it with high quality gear oil, it makes a world of difference!

has anyone else had a slipping clutch? i will get into the gearbox on the weekend to change the gear oil anyways i will see if there is anything i can do to adjust it, or is it supposed to be like that? it engages if i floor it and it will begin to drive(feels like a cvt transmission) but im not sure if its supposed to be like that?

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
I am curious about that Hoot gearbox. I have 4 of these and have been warned not to put to much grease let alone fill it with oil. So are there 2 completely different type of Hoot gearbox? Is this the "improved" version BGF talks about?

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Yea I'm kinda curious too about what's in the gearbox. Some info I've seen said that they pack them with too much grease at the factory and it contaminates the centrifugal clutch which causes it to slip and burn up the clutch pads. From the look of the gearbox internals I doubt filling it with oil would be of help since there is no way to prevent the oil from contaminating the clutch.

>>scratches head<<

I watched the video and the gearbox whine is about the same as any others I've watched. The nice thing about the Hoot gearbox though is it's compactness...from what I see the whole engine gearbox package is not that much more space consuming than an HT. Kudo's to Motor Boys for having the only 4 stroke kit in Canada at a most excellent price...I'm still on the fence though as to if I want one for my winter project.

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
ohhh!! so maby thats why my clutch is slipping so bad? was i not supposed to fill it with gear oil? it had an oil filler cap and its sealed with a gasket, plus it had alot of oil in it when i bought it, so do you recommend i remove all the oil? how much oil should be in here? can someone on this forum with experience give me an exact ml limit to how much i should put it? i would hate to burn out my clutch,

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Here's a link to the Chna Gas site with some pics of the gearbox internals.

China Gas

In the pics I see only grease but I dunno, maybe they changed up and started filling them with oil??

>>scratches head some more<<

Sadly there is very little info on that gearbox other than how much it's hated. I just might buy one on impulse just so I can get up close and personal with it...I'm bad that way :oops:

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
Here's a link to the Chna Gas site with some pics of the gearbox internals.

China Gas

In the pics I see only grease but I dunno, maybe they changed up and started filling them with oil??

>>scratches head some more<<

Sadly there is very little info on that gearbox other than how much it's hated. I just might buy one on impulse just so I can get up close and personal with it...I'm bad that way :oops:

yeah your right? darn, i dont want it to break! im going to empty all the oil when i get home, i hope i didnt damage the clutch do to it slipping, maybe i should pack some grease in? any idea how much and what kind? lol im hopeless!

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I dunno what to suggest other than a good synthetic high pressure and high viscosity grease...but don't take my word as golden on that suggestion cuz remember I don't have that kit.

I've been doing some more searching and this post is interesting as it kinda relates back to what I was saying earlier about the gear mesh + gear whine in those gearboxes. Seems after he did some shimming the gearbox got quieter and it stands to reason if things are meshing properly and your using a good quality sticky grease it should be quieter and somewhat reliable.

BTW your clutch might be ok, wash it all down really well with brake cleaner...lots of it!

Last edited:

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
On the kit that I had, the gears were not meshing correctly and one of the big gears was rubbing the outer gearbox cover. This was the primary cause of the whining noise. If you remove the cover and see the beginning of a shiny circle, you have problems. I used grease, then I used oil. I shimmed it. In the end, the gear teeth on the primary gear. The small one on the clutch bell stripped. If you have metal particles in your oil. You are headed in the same direction.

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
On the kit that I had, the gears were not meshing correctly and one of the big gears was rubbing the outer gearbox cover. This was the primary cause of the whining noise. If you remove the cover and see the beginning of a shiny circle, you have problems. I used grease, then I used oil. I shimmed it. In the end, the gear teeth on the primary gear. The small one on the clutch bell stripped. If you have metal particles in your oil. You are headed in the same direction.
well i opened the gearbox, the chain oil had turned black! but there was no metal shavings, i then rinced it with break cleaner as instructed, and i loaded it up with more than enough white lithium grease, now the gearbox is quieter and it doesnt slip at all! i think it should be enough lubrication, i put on 20kms with the lithium grease in it and it ran sweet! then i pulled it all apart and looked and all the gears looked fine, all the teeth were perfect, there was one little metal shaving in the grease and that was it, so hopefully i have the one hoot that lasts, but i would still like to replace it with something more reliable(its been reliable so far but all you people have got me paranoid of failure!) at least ive got the vendor to back me up if something goes wrong though, but all is well so far, just about done the break in, im going to do the first real ride tomorrow and take it all the way into town, then work,

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
It appears there are TWO completely different gearboxes. There is no chain on my Hoot gearbox, only gears. I wonder if the chain one is the "upgrade" and how long it wll last.

It may be you are supposed to use oil in the chain one and grease in the gear one. I wish somebody who knows what's going on would come along.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Well, there are three threads going right now about this, so the chance of anybody not being confused is slim at best. ;)

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
alright well i have the gear hoot box, gear oil was horible, it slipped, and sucked, i used white lithium grease and its better! put on 20 kms and its holding up, but then i was paranoid so i added more grease, and now its slipping again, gota go get my break cleaner and retry!

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Report back when you get closer to 200kms or 500kms. That would be a more viable number , although 2000kms would be borderline acceptable for it to be considered a "good" box.

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
well catastrophic failure,............................ of the grease! good thing i was monitoring the gearbox so much, after putting on another 25kms i noticed the gear box sounded a bit louder, so i pulled over and took the cover off, my white lithium grease had turned into this water viscosity liquid junk that was making the clutch slip, the gears look ok though, no metal, i will clean it up and put in some damn good grease this time, man but i wasted 10 bucks on tat white lithium stuff, and for those doing the math im neer 200kms(165ish) with nothing bad to say about the gearbox besides its sound, the real test of the vendor is how they treat you when your kit fails, but i assure you thats one aspect i dont want to have to review! im doing everything in my power to keep it running good, i have done 2 oil changes already,

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Yea lithium grease was a bad choice. If you got a TSC in town check out a Lucas product called Red-N-Tacky, I use a dab of it on the gears and roller clutch bearing in my HT. It seems to stay where you put it and it hasn't contaminated my centi clutch in a bad way.

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
well the bikes wrecked, and im pretty badly hurt, i was driving it and this random kid(matt bogie) whipped a bag full of books at me and i went down hard, i will try to post pictures of my injuries but it might be considered gore? lol i have some work to get my bike working again, luckly my legs, bone, and flesh took the most of the crash, my bike is toast, but the engine still runs!! anyways wish me luck on my recovery, bone is exposed, i will be bed bound for a little while, will post when im riding again,

oh and i am pressing charges on him for assault, plus now i cant work,

Status
Not open for further replies.