Dax Titan Using Bmp

GoldenMotor.com

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
I had welded it right when it broke. That was prior to your offer. Keep in mind. This was as rapid a weld as possible. I needed it to get hot enough to penetrate, yet not so hot as to cook the bearings and seals behind it. So. Yes. although not the most beautiful weld , but it is strong for sure which is what I wanted. If I ever need some production line welds for such a setup, I will be sure to contact you Tom for TIG welding. Thanks again. You are super !! Sincerely.. Duane..

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Just got home from a ride to Tiny Town Colorado. I would guess they are around 7500-8000 feet. I only felt I had to pedal at one stretch for about 100 meters or so. That was it. I did not have to pedal, but I did anyway. I was very surprised at how well the 1.25 roller climbs. My Top speed under power has now hit 33 mph. Top speed coasting home almost 40. I can cruise 25-27 all day and the engine will not break a sweat. Rear tire has lots of small or medium knobs that do a lot of humming against the pinch roller. Loud humming at times. The ideal tire I feel would be a Solid top with knobs on the sides. I ordered a couple of different style tires to test. They should be here in a week or so. In the meantime, I will run the stock knobby tire and see what kind of miles I get from it. I am seeing peak wear on the knob edges. I have around 100 miles now on this stock tire. Climbing up hill, very steep at times, from Chatfield to Tiny Town yielded me 105mpg. No kidding. This is great !!! Coming home was all coasting. I should be over 150 mpg on the ride home ! Wow !! So.. This is where I am at now. Around 100 miles on the bike and tires. 70 miles on the BMP modified. Weld is holding well !! Enjoy the ride...

NashOpel

Jul 10, 2009
Arvada,CO
I got a chance today to ride this bike and look it over. The quality of the kit is outstanding. Accelerating is so smooth, quick, and with no vibrations. It is a true joy to ride. After Duane gets them in stock I will finally have the chance to build my wife a bike. Since she stands 5'2 I have been trying to find a bike to fit her and to fit a engine is hard but with this setup all I have to do is find a bike that fits her.

Great job Duane
Thanks for all the work you put into finding and testing the stuff you sell.
George

Buddy

Jul 7, 2009
Ogden, Utah
The stock tires on that Schwinn aren't very good. I wore the rear tire pretty bad in only about 200 miles with a little Subaru chain drive. I also had the same tire practically bulge right off the rim and had to replace it. Be careful with those tires. Different tires should make a big difference.

Other than the tires that Schwinn isn't a bad bike, fairly comfortable to ride. Pedaling feels a little weird to me, not sure why.

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Hi Buddy.. Thanks for that Tip on the tires. I do have new ones coming. I also noticed the pedaling felt.. Well..... Confined or restrained. I can only attribute that to the short wheel base. These comfort bikes like this Schwinn and others typically have a short wheel base and make pedaling seem somewhat different. I raise the seat a little higher and it makes the pedaling seem more normal. Since this is a test bike and I will be selling it once testing is completed, I am not going to change any thing on it, except the tires. If I were to keep the bike, I would have to swap out the bars for a taller version. But over all, the bike is of good quality, stops on a dime "very important" and at speeds approaching 40mph, stable and confident. There are 2 bikes I have found I want to try next. Both on the Sears Site. One is the Stretched Turbo R-24. But.. I am not sure about having 24 inch tires. Is this an Adult bike? anyone try this bike? Here is the link... Turbo R-24 Model Empire 24 Inch Men&s Bike

The other is the Kent Comfort bike with dual Suspension. Both look good. But.. You know how things look in pictures. If anyone knows anything about these 2 bikes first hand. Let me know. thanks..

Enjoy the ride..

Buddy

Jul 7, 2009
Ogden, Utah
I thought the Schwinn had a shorter wheelbase than my MTB with your Titan kit and that might be the reason the pedaling felt weird but when I measured both bikes the Schwinn was only about 3/4" less than my other bike near as I could tell. I wouldn't think that little bit would make much difference.

Last edited:

berdss

Jul 2, 2009
nj
I just received a Titan engine and I was wondering how much and what kind of oil ? I was also wondering do I put the oil in that little hole where you check it?

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Hi... Yes.. Use Valvoline 10-30 or 10-40 conventional motor oil. It works the best. Fill it until it shows up onto the threads of the filler neck or into the cross hatch of the filler neck dip stick. Amount will be around 1/4 of a quart. Change after break in around 200-300 miles. Then change when it gets dirty there after. Enjoy the ride..

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Hi.. Did a parts run today. Pulling my Trailer and loaded with parts. I was very surprised at how well I was able to pull my load. Even up large hills. Titan XC50 with 1.25 inch roller works very well even pulling loads. I also plowed through some water and noticed no slippage. My rear tire knobs are showing some wear for sure. These stock tires are really soft. Almost like a sponge material. Although any tire will work well with a Friction drive, I am sure there are tires better suited for such applications than others. I have a few tires coming I want to test and see what is optimum. So far.. Testing is going well. Titan makes plenty of power. A real joy to ride !! Wow !! What fun. Enjoy the ride.. And the pictures.... :)

Attachments

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
DAX you need more surface area to hit the roller, niagra sells a sweet semi slick tire [cheng shin) for around 9 bucks that works great with my friction drive. #C-1218, 26 in.

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Well.. I am dissapointed in the Rust-o-lium Wheel paint. Spilling fuel on it stripped it right off my Engine cover. The Dupilcolor Wheel Coating paint is not affected by fuel spills. Problem was, I could not find the Duplicolor in Black so I tried the Rust-o-lium. Do not use it. Use Duplicolor Wheel Coating. Duplicolor even says that it is resistant to Solvents and more. And.. It is true. Also.. I have not received my tires yet, although I just Mounted a BMP FD on to my FirmStrong bike. FirmStrong is a Cheap knockoff of the Electra. It costs 75 percent as much as the Electra, but only 25 percent as good. So.. Not a good buy, but makes for a good test. The back tire on this Frimstrong is faily smooth with only rain grooves. The Roller against this tire is near silent. Which is what I expected. So.. I am out having fun Testing different rides and ideas.. Enjoy the ride....