My 5HP Project, frame Donated from (Womens Schwinn)

GoldenMotor.com

kcbford1

May 10, 2009
Haysville, ks
i started this today, frame moded, and the motor mounted. If any one has any ideas i would love to hear them.

does any one know about relocating a gas tank on a briggs and stratton, will the gravity feed flood the engine if the tank is mounted above the carb?

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
This looks like an AWESOME project!

Disc brake is nice.

i can't imagine why a tank above the engine would cause problems.

A rack-mounted or one above the bar would be okay, I would presume.

What's your driveline gonna be like? No pedals?

Last edited:

kcbford1

May 10, 2009
Haysville, ks
Thanks!

no Pedals, i just hope i dont break down miles from home.
driveline is going to be belt with a tensioner pully, with a jackshaft then a chain to the rear wheel.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
If I were me, I'd do my darnedest to keep the pedals for two reasons:

If engine fails, I can pedal to my destination.

It helps to "ghost pedal" when "Johnny Law" is in the vicinity.

buzzardbait

Mar 31, 2009
Near Phila. PA.
Hi kcbford1,
It looks like you have a diaphram carb on that engine, with the dip tube coming out the bottom. Meaning that, the tank bolted to the bottom of the carb. That tank and carb have to stay together.

You could however, change to a float bowl type carb and mount the tank above the level of the carb somewhere.
The float needle keeps the carb from being flooded. It's a good idea to have a separate shut-off valve on the tank, though.

buzzardbait

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Be carefull about doing a carb conversion. Briggs typically has the carb to cylinder bolt pattern at a diagonal for your current (tank under carb) set up. The float bowl type have a horizontal bolt pattern. You will probibly need to fabricate an adaper of some sort.

Noped

Apr 21, 2010
Natchez, ms
Thanks!

no Pedals, i just hope i dont break down miles from home.
driveline is going to be belt with a tensioner pully, with a jackshaft then a chain to the rear wheel.
man, i've been thinking small; now i may do a 5 horse; are you still alive my friend? i'd rather have the extra power when in a jam. now what about peddles? hmmmm. i would want them. can you tell me if i can find a wide enough crank to clear that monster?

be seeing you

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
If you need the look use a top tank w/a shutoff to fill the bottom one when needed,,,,,gussets at the welds would look kool,maybe an extended tube from the bottom tube to the top tube and triangle filler plate.Ahhh just me thinkin' again lol

5hphonda

Oct 18, 2010
united states
Hey I just had to ask you where did you get that cutting wheel on that die grinder in the pics? I need a way to cut steel tubing for my project and a way to notch the steel tubing too. Thanks in advance:)

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Sears, K-Mart, WalMart, Lowes, Home Depot, Harbor Freight, Ace Hardware, Tractor Supply, and more all sell the cut off wheels. You can even get a kit that comes with 3 or 5 wheels and a mandrel to mount them on.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Here's how I do my 5hp Briggs bikes. That's why I use the old float carbs, so I can have a cool gas tank. Good luck with your build. It looks great so far.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
You know, those upright engines are gorwing on me. They look "really" old school. Would be cool to have a big flat leather belt drive, like that one on the rartrod threads.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
The yelloww one seems to fit better. Maybe trim some of the exses sheet metal off hanging out? JUST LOVE THESE BUILDS. If the old briggs last 20 years awesome!

msrfin What are the carbs off look like older 8hp carbs?

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
The float bowl carbs for the Briggs motors are what comes on the uprights with remote gas tanks. The 3-5 hp use one size, 8hp uses a larger one, and the biggest motors have even a larger one. They fit several different displacement motors by using different fuel nozzles inside.