first crack at it, going for that btr style

GoldenMotor.com

zolson88

Apr 3, 2011
ohio
really like the look of the early motorcycles and ive been creeping around on this site on collecting parts for a while now and now I finally have it all together. I don't have any welding experience or anything so I did the best I could without. all in all I like it and had fun building it and theres still more id like to do with it, different kickstand, rear fender and maybe later on make er a four stroke.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
That bike looks great, like SB said especially for a 1st build. The tank is fantastic. What type of frame is that, is there a bar removed?

zolson88

Apr 3, 2011
ohio
thanks. the frame is from a firestone cruiser, I got it at a flea market for $10 fork was bent, wheels bent, and one of the arching tubes that ran from the seat post towards the front was broken off from the front and bent so I just cut em both off. felt it really changed the look of the bike.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Yeah, it looks great! On the subject of switching to a 4 stroke, you will love it when you do. I recently went from a kit to a 98cc minibike engine, and I love my 4 stroke. Keep up the good work, though!

zolson88

Apr 3, 2011
ohio
runs good but I did run into a snag with my engine mounts, engine moves and causes the chain to pop off and when I went to tighten it the thread just stripped out. I replaced all my bolts and fasteners but neglected the engine mount studs. so ill be doing that in the next few days

hsvmick

Mar 23, 2011
hobart tasmania australia
i like how you have transformed your bike ,what kind of frame is that one and you better be careful if you live in OHIO,and leave it in your barn ,mike wolf will find that one .nice build and happy bicycling .wee.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
i like how you have transformed your bike ,what kind of frame is that one and you better be careful if you live in OHIO,and leave it in your barn ,mike wolf will find that one .nice build and happy bicycling .wee.
Mike Wolf, that's funny! One of my Fav shows.

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Nice work, I like it! Creative way to mount the tank, if you ever want to change it around and remove the wood piece, there are some hanger brackets at Home Depot that can be used to mount the tank. Also, I like that seat!

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
Cool build.

Question: It looks like you used iron pipe for your layback seatpost? Is that correct? If so, genious! 3/4" IPS is about .050" over 1" dia, so do you have some odd seatpost size?

edit: I found 1/2" IPS that is 0.84" OD; that could be shimmed I suppose.

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Cool build.

Question: It looks like you used iron pipe for your layback seatpost? Is that correct? If so, genious! 3/4" IPS is about .050" over 1" dia, so do you have some odd seatpost size?

edit: I found 1/2" IPS that is 0.84" OD; that could be shimmed I suppose.

Cast iron pipe, eh? I'll have give some thought to this. On my Indian Hiawatha build I used a Worksman frame and wanted to use a vintage L shaped post from the 1940's as a kind of "lay back" seat post. The problem was that the post was a smaller diameter than what the modern frame wanted. So I made shims out of copper water pipe slit vertically and used enough of them to make it tight when the seat post was clamped down tight. Perhaps the same thing could be done with the water pipe. I wonder how strong it is.
SB

zolson88

Apr 3, 2011
ohio
I was proud of how cheaply I made that... I didnt bother measuring, I just found some old threaded gas pipe I had and a 90 degree elbow... it seems to hold tight. ill try to remember to measure it next time im tinkering on it

Last edited:

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
just measured the pipe it has a 7/8 od
OK, so that makes good sense- a 7/8" OD pipe will fit nicely inside a 1" tube that is.062" thickness.

So the question is: where did this pipe come from? What size is it specifically? And does it seem to flex at all? I suppose the iron pipe could have a super thick wall on it.

I am intrigued by what seems like a super-easy, yet overlooked way to make a layback seatpost.

zolson88

Apr 3, 2011
ohio
well the pipe came in a bin with a bunch of other stuff we got from clearing out my grandpas house.... he used to do some plumbing and stuff so I just figured it was some kinda standard gas pipe. I haven't noticed any flex, the pipe and elbow are pretty heavy

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
well the pipe came in a bin with a bunch of other stuff we got from clearing out my grandpas house.... he used to do some plumbing and stuff so I just figured it was some kinda standard gas pipe. I haven't noticed any flex, the pipe and elbow are pretty heavy

Are we talking about cast iron water pipe? Sometimes it is also used for long or outdoor runs for propane.
SB