Knowledge about 24" straight bar frame?

GoldenMotor.com

dbmxm

Nov 10, 2009
California
Hey everyone,
I am looking to build a straightbar boardtrack motorized bicycle, but I want to use 24" wheels. I was wondering if anyone with some knowledge of old schwinns (or others) could make a recommendation of frames to be on the lookout for.
In my limited searches, it looks like early 50's schwinn 24" wasps might work, or there were a few 24" DXs.
If you have some advice, I'd appreciate it...
Thanks in advance...
-Cody

wildemere

Feb 12, 2008
Newcastle
Why not just fit up some 24" wheels to an old school MTB or Road bike frame?

Early MTB's and 10 speed racers have that straight, horizontal geometry.

I put 26" wheels on a 70's road bike frame that used 27" originally and it looks and rides better now. Another plus is the modern front end with suspension forks and better V brakes.

dbmxm

Nov 10, 2009
California
Sorry to be confusing...
I meant an old 24" cruiser frame (like the workman's) with the center bar straight horizontal across the frame so a tank can be mounted in the negative space...

I could use a 26" with 24" wheels, but want it to be super compact so a shorter frame would help...

Example:

Attachments

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
From my tank building experience it is much easier to start with a true straightbar frame as opposed to a "curved" straightbar frame. It is just easier to start with a flat tank bottom than a curved tank bottom. Gives a good starting point to build up. The more curves the more challenging the tank construction. Also, if you plan to build the tank yourself then almost any straightbar frame is fine. If you plan to source the tank elsewhere then find the tank first and then get the frame that fits the tank. I don't know of anyone supporting the 24" frames with available tanks.

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
The 24" DX frames from the 50's are good and bad. They're balloon tire frames, so have plenty of clearance for wheels. The space between the two bars is pretty small though. And, as Pat indicates, the second bar is not straight, it has a slight curve which will complicate the tank, but not impossible.

Tornado's are middleweights, they're what we call a double straight bar. It looks like they have a little more room for a tank, but these are middle weights, less room for tires, but I built up a 26" middle weight and had plenty of tire space. I used a '62 typhoon. They make a 24" version too. Typhon and Tornado are similar, but I think the pocket is larger on the Tornado. Check flea bay...

If you build up a 26" board track style, you'll find it to be a very compact ride. Plus, you can use 24" thick brick tires, they fit super nice on a balloon frame, but chain clearance will keep you up at night...

Have fun.