500 Lumen light under $10. RECHARGABLE :D

GoldenMotor.com

TheE

Jun 26, 2009
Canada
Cool! Only thing I'd change is the batteries...10x AA NiMH is gonna make your wallet nice and light.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Actually if you check around online you can find good deals on bulk AA nimh batteries.

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
Lead acid batteries are more than a "little" heavier and not meant for discharge at all believe it or not. Most who swear they last a long time simply haven't discharged them very much. NiMh at .50-$1 are far better choice. The new "precharge" low self-discharge type are best of all but cost $1-$2 ea.. Still cheaper and lighter than Pb.

DanielMaia

Jun 24, 2009
Portugal
That's correct,

But here in Portugal, NiMh batteries are quite expensive, only from other countries like spain that we can buy items @ low price

But yes, that's pretty cool ;)

thanks

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
That's a Li-ion pack not NiMh. Even though it doesn't mention it in the description in has to have a low voltage cut off, if you run a Li-ion battery "dead" you've destroyed it.

Better solution would be to buy a Li-ion pack meant for electric R/C (11.1v 1200 mAh packs can be found for less then $20), a cheap lipo brushed motor speed controller (30A can be found for under $6 shipped on ebay) driven by a manual servo adjuster (under $10), toss in a charger (about $30, smart chargers aren't cheap but will charge fully in about 20 minutes) and you'd have a heck of a setup.

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
That's a Li-ion pack not NiMh. Even though it doesn't mention it in the description in has to have a low voltage cut off, if you run a Li-ion battery "dead" you've destroyed it.

Better solution would be to buy a Li-ion pack meant for electric R/C (11.1v 1200 mAh packs can be found for less then $20), a cheap lipo brushed motor speed controller (30A can be found for under $6 shipped on ebay) driven by a manual servo adjuster (under $10), toss in a charger (about $30, smart chargers aren't cheap but will charge fully in about 20 minutes) and you'd have a heck of a setup.

That is not a cost effective solution unless you absolutley need adjustable light which is a bad idea anyway. The helmet cam and LED packs from that link certainly have LVC built-in otherwise they would be "one-use" batteries. If weight is at a premium then lithiums with a cheap protection circuit like those from All-Battery are better but still pricey compared to nickel chemistry.

All-in-all NiMh AAs are the most cost effective and simplest solution. This is my opinions having dealt with PB and lithium alternatives on many occasions.

The new 1.6v NiZn AAs have radical advantages over all the above but are still in the expensive mode. I just bought $200 worth last week because they don't suffer from low voltage issues plagueing current Ni cells and that solves problems in several of my applications.

TheE

Jun 26, 2009
Canada
I'm looking on ebay and there are some pretty good deals on AA NiMH batteries if you go the online route. Around here, even the "cheap" AAs are around $15 for 4 of them =/

Also bear in mind that a 20W bulb running at 12V is going to draw over 1.6A...anything less than 2000mAh will last mabye an hour.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Just wanted to mention that despite the initial purchase price, NiMH batteries are still a steal really. I've had sets I've abused for years, extreme temperature variations, over charging & undercharging, neglect, and overuse... They've dealt admirably with it all.

I'm no "battery expert" but I do know these poor lil beasties have earned their keep and then about 1000x more lol Sure - I'm sure there's better, but short of something extreme like powering an eBike I really can't find any reason to fault them, even the reserve is beyond what I would expect.

Worth every penny and that's a fact ;)

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
That is not a cost effective solution unless you absolutley need adjustable light which is a bad idea anyway. The helmet cam and LED packs from that link certainly have LVC built-in otherwise they would be "one-use" batteries. If weight is at a premium then lithiums with a cheap protection circuit like those from All-Battery are better but still pricey compared to nickel chemistry.

All-in-all NiMh AAs are the most cost effective and simplest solution. This is my opinions having dealt with PB and lithium alternatives on many occasions.

The new 1.6v NiZn AAs have radical advantages over all the above but are still in the expensive mode. I just bought $200 worth last week because they don't suffer from low voltage issues plagueing current Ni cells and that solves problems in several of my applications.

Would be for someone like me who has all that stuff already and doesn't fly his planes anymore because he's having too much fun with his motorbike. laff

matukash

Nov 29, 2009
florida

In radio shack i saw a 8.5 v battery with charger... Wouldn't it be better to buy two of them and somehow to make it yo 12V ?

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Easiest and cheapest way is to do what someone here did a while ago, go down and buy a battery and charger for one of those no name cordless drills you always see being sold in stores this time of year. Then get a bulb for a Dewalt 18v flashlight ($4.99 for 2 @ the Depot) for your headlight.

Tim_B_172

Aug 26, 2009
Saint Joseph, MO
someone mentioned LiPo batteries so it should also be mentioned as a matter of safety that you can't use just any battery charger for LiPos. You need one designed for LiPos or you could cause a fire. That type of battery requires regulated current while charging otherwise they will draw so much current that they get hot and can even catch fire.

Riding Rich

Aug 14, 2009
pa
Why not use high output / low voltage / led's.
I mean led lights.
Then run the white 6V line off the HT magneto to them.
I have a bicycle light that is led and pretty bright.
Takes 4 aa bateries.
4 X 1.5v = 6Volts.
See what i'm talkin about.

I have even seen a higher power magento for running lights on the net.

I'm gonna try anyway.

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
Why not use high output / low voltage / led's.
I mean led lights.
Then run the white 6V line off the HT magneto to them.
I have a bicycle light that is led and pretty bright.
Takes 4 aa bateries.
4 X 1.5v = 6Volts.
See what i'm talkin about.

I have even seen a higher power magento for running lights on the net.

I'm gonna try anyway.
As mentioned in several other posts LED with rechargeable AAs is actually the best solution. Most HT magnetos do not fare well with the extra load. The add on magneto coil has potential (pun).

Riding Rich

Aug 14, 2009
pa
Well i have pondered this ( no pun intended)

If you run a high watage high Volt Per Rpm RC DC brushless motor off of a jackshaft you could generate some serious power and charge a couple of RC batteries.

Then you could even run multiple led's.

Maybe even possible to create a hybred motorbike.

$29.00 2500W motor + charging circut i have Dwg of = High Power.

When i'm done with porting i'll work this one over.

Honestly right now i use the rechargeable aa camera batteries and a bicycle LED.

But it needs improvement.

matukash

Nov 29, 2009
florida
Cool, drill battery is an good idea.. But leds don't and i would say CAN'T produce 500 lumens of power. Except for those opti-cubes in cat eye lamps...brnotbrnotbrnot