Royce Union build.

GoldenMotor.com

PutNameHere

Apr 6, 2010
Pasadena, Ca
So I've had a Royce Union bike since the late 80's. I belive it to be 70's or maybe even late 60's. Its been burried in the back of my garage since 94 and now I was thinking of straping an engine to it. My only problem is I can't find much parts for it. Ide to keep it as original as posible except for the brakes which are bout as good as Fred Flintstones' feet. I would like any input from anyone who has used this bike for a build. Or somthing similar I can post pictures of the bike later as I'm at work at the moment. Thanx much

rockhopper

Mar 20, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Since it's a step through and he's in a dry climate how about some advice on a rack mounted 49cc friction drive on the rear wheel...

Hi Put. Pasadena is dry, right?

PutNameHere

Apr 6, 2010
Pasadena, Ca
just ride it here and there, nothing fancy, my first build so ide be happy with 10mph lol :-|| just want to know like if i would need thicker tires or what not at those speeds or special mounts or should i just get the engine kit and see what problems i can get myself into? zpt

rockhopper

Mar 20, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
just ride it here and there, nothing fancy, my first build so ide be happy with 10mph lol :-|| just want to know like if i would need thicker tires or what not at those speeds or special mounts or should i just get the engine kit and see what problems i can get myself into? zpt
As a long time member here (not) I would recommend looking first to the far left of your screen at the sponsors. Find THATS DAX and start from there. Scroll down a little to find it.

Apparently if you have a step through design and less than a 50cc engine you will not require a motorcycle license.

That's the best I can do for you for now. Should at least get you started.

The folks here are awesome, knowledgeable, and friendly. But it may be past their bedtime right now. I'm finding that these folks are the legendary pioneer motorcycle riders of the 70's. Respect.

Sorry Legends! Just trying to push some business your way...

Some one will be along to berate me short...er...eventually.

It's very good to have you here!

brnot

K.i.p

Nov 8, 2009
CNY
Put, as long as you keep your expectations realistic I believe you can build something fun and totally functional. My build is based on something pretty similar. I have no delusions about performance or durability it's just a fun ride for running around from time to time. I opted for the smaller motor to avoid beating the heck out of the original equipment.

With some TLC, cleaning, and fresh grease I was able to use all stock bearings etc.. If you have a vision of putting a motor on it and driving off with a motorcycle you should consider something of a more substantial nature.

I'm not an officianotto or anything, just a common sense guy in it for some fun, so keep that in consideration. See also '79 Murry in this section for a couple other pics.

Attachments