need custom spokes

GoldenMotor.com

skitchfish

Oct 27, 2010
Michigan
Grease, When you measure your ERD with two spokes, measure it in several different places including where the wheel was joined together.( if this applies ) You might not see this in a motor cycle wheel but a less expensive bicycle wheel you can see where they joined it together. This spot is the toughest part to verticaly true and if your spokes are to long this is the one that will screw you.

Be very particular when vertically truing as this determines the concentricity of your wheel, hub and sprocket, no matter if its a rag joint or hub adapter. The better you get it the smoother the transmission from your engine making it more efficient, less friction and just plain FASTER!

greaser_monkey_87

Mar 30, 2014
USA
I won't be truing the wheel myself. I'll be shipping the hub to a bicycle shop several hours north of me that works with motorized bicycle stuff (no places around here do). All I need to do is calculate the correct length so I can order the spokes and have them delivered to the shop that's going to build my wheel. Right now I'm thinking I will let them calculate the length and I'll order the spokes when they tell me the length. I don't have a jig that the motorcycle hub will fit in, and no bike shop where I live will touch it if it's for anything motorized. The local motorcycle shop charges over $60 an hour. The shop I'm sending it to will build it and tie and solder the spokes for $50. They can also calculate the spoke length more accurately than I can. This is the last wheel I will ever need built, so I'm more interested in getting it done than learning how to build wheels.