In frame tank vendors

GoldenMotor.com

boocher13

Aug 13, 2013
manchester,ct
I've decided to go with an in frame tank for my next build. The only vendor for these I have found is custom motored bicycles . Are they the only ones making these ? Also I plan on mounting my Morini to this frame so I prefer a steel frame so I could weld in the mounts or are these aluminum frames rugged enough for me to fab bolt on mounts . I've read pretty negative things here about aluminum frames.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I don't know of any others-

I thought about getting one, for a 50cc lightweight street bike, but I think the tank is too big, and I'm not sure if you could fit it with 700C wheels-
The aluminum would probably be alright for that, especially with the built in mounts

but I don't know about a Moroni- sure is a powerful motor

n'est pa?

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Options are pretty slim for in frame production tanks. Sportsman Flyer makes a racer model for the morini, Phoenix bike works will make mounts to fit any motor for their frame/tank package but you have to send them the motor, silver state cycles has a frame tank combo but he is laid up with a jacked up hand still, haven't seen anyone put anything besides a 66 china in one of those Grubee tank frames you mentioned.

boocher13

Aug 13, 2013
manchester,ct
Thanks for the input guys. I have an s5n the 3hp morini and my other idea was to use a dax balanced lower with a fred's upper and shift kit setup. I had my heart set on a nuvinci hub but from what I'm reading they cant take the torque .

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Having done it I can say that there's a lot of time and effort involved in making an in frame tank specific to a model of bicycle. More so if it is a one off gas tank for something pretty uncommon. It takes time to make up a pattern, accurately cutting the pieces and then figuring out how best to proceed. Making the Panther tank was a whole different approach than making one for the old Schwinn cantilever frame.

Yet people are shocked when they see the price tag on an in frame tank which are hand made and had better not leak, right? So they need to be well made. And if the tank has been treated with a quality liner then there's more time and money.

On the other hand it makes the in frame tank a special thing, even here where there are so many projects. You might consider making your own even if you lack the skills for welding or soldering at this time. There's a nice sticky that BarelyAWake did showing you how to do everything up to the welding part... which you then take to a welder. That can save you a lot of money!
SB