NT Carb DOWNGRADE

GoldenMotor.com

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Hi all,

I recently rebuilt my X80, and found that my NT Speed carb was leaking after installation. I was in a hurry to get somewhere, and instead of troubleshooting the leak, I decided to slap on a standard NT carb I had laying around (came with another kit). It was brand-still-wrapped-in-plastic-new. I was actually pleasantly surprised with its performance. The engine seems quieter, and seems to be running at a lower temperature (I base this only on how the engine sounds under load). There was a negligible reduction in power, but the reduced engine noise was a real bonus. Has anyone had a similar experience? I'm not sure about mileage yet, but I just polished off about 0.5 gallons, and I think I'd traveled about 50-miles.

mrfubs

Jun 13, 2013
michigan
Alright so then take the head off and see if there is any groves in the cylinder wall or if any plating flaked off for the heck of it.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Alright so then take the head off and see if there is any groves in the cylinder wall or if any plating flaked off for the heck of it.
I don't understand this at all.......

But all the same, Kioshk, I suspect that components of these engines and kits follow the same pattern as the engines themselves; some are just better than others.

It could be that the 'good' carb was a bad one and the 'poor' carb was a good one.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
NT carbs are well known to be jetted way rich as they come stock, I would think that the sound difference is do to the engine 4 stroking and the cooler temps would be from the same, this will also explain the power loss. These engines just wont run like they should with a untuned NT, at least that has always been my experience, but the beauty of the NT carbs is that they are so simple to tune.

Map

BonusParts

Nov 28, 2012
SE-PA
^^ agreed.

Try a 68 or 66 jet in that new carb. you'll be flyin along!

i run a 66 jet in my NT speed carb summertime, or 68 wintertime for cold temps

Will122391

May 31, 2013
Texas
I love NT carbs. Without any tuning, mine gave me a tan spark plug and only 4 strokes when I'm cruising at akward speeds. It pulls so cleanly. The simplicity is great for reliability and these things are cheap. I've been looking into getting a new carb lately for performance increases, but I love the NT. I've heard that there is a variation in the size for 48cc and 66cc, can anyone confirm this?

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I love NT carbs. Without any tuning, mine gave me a tan spark plug and only 4 strokes when I'm cruising at akward speeds. It pulls so cleanly. The simplicity is great for reliability and these things are cheap. I've been looking into getting a new carb lately for performance increases, but I love the NT. I've heard that there is a variation in the size for 48cc and 66cc, can anyone confirm this?
All the standard NT's are the same size regardless of the engine size.
Alot of 66cc engines like the NT Speed carbs though because they have a slightly larger throat.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I've tried a few different carbs and I keep going back to the venerable old NT for reliability and best all-round performance. They are so easy to work with and tune I don't see any advantage to the others available for the Chinese 2 stroke especially those in the stock configuration.

All they require is clean gasoline and they are great carburetors. Install a good in-line fuel filter and you're golden with the NT. Any reported substantial performance gains from other (bigger) carbs are probably more psychological than actual.

No, I don't sell NT carburetors.

Tom

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I ha ve always liked the NT carbs for being so simple to tune and maintain, but I find tje dax RT carb to be kust as easy to maintain and my engine with the RT carb is a little more responsive and does pull better on the low end with it which was something I noticed right off when I got it on tjat engine, it doesnt have a faster top speed with it bit tje acceleration is a big smoother and quicker with the RT carb.

By the way, the NT carb was tuned very good that I took off, but I still like both carbs...... simple and they just plain work.

Map
.wee.