Chain rubbin on the wheel

GoldenMotor.com

sleepy hollow

Apr 28, 2012
huntington beach ca
So if the chain is rubbing Im not gonna have a blow out? If not than awesome. I could go with a skinnier wheel, I have one, but that rear sprocket is the bane of my existence. If I switch the the sprocket around it'll hit the frame. But if its not that big of a deal for now ill just let it hit the wheel I do not care how white the walls are. I promise there will be pictures if it has to go that far.
it shouldnt blow out, ive built 2 cranbrooks(66cc) with the rear sprock dished out, i run a #41 chain, with a 2.195 tire the chain barely knicks the tire, if its hitting get a thinner tire, as far as a chain tensioner, you dont need it on the cranbrook the chain will clear the frame

Reactions: Brett S

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
sometimes the tension of the sprocket mount will pull the tire a bit to that side - you can pull it back away from the chain a bit by tightening the spokes on the other side of the wheel

Brett S

Jun 12, 2023
P.S., a little tire rub won't hurt a thing, unless you don't like your white walls scuffed.
This is my problem... I need my whitewalls perfect! Damn chain rub issue is killing me though. It's like it just nips the very edge of tire in a quick bounce or something. Doesn't really chew into tire but--DAMN IT, MY WHITEWALLS!

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Welcome to the forum Brett, if you didn't notice the last post in this thread was over 10 years ago, only one of the members that posted is still active. I've found it very hard to keep whitewalls clean on mine as well, you get accustomed to it after a while.

Brett S

Jun 12, 2023
Welcome to the forum Brett, if you didn't notice the last post in this thread was over 10 years ago, only one of the members that posted is still active. I've found it very hard to keep whitewalls clean on mine as well, you get accustomed to it after a while.
hahaha, thank you, I didn't notice, lol! Yes, I went to 1.95 inch tires instead of the 2.125s and still get a little on my now tanwalls. I just wipe em after after ride.

Rusty_Nail

Oct 11, 2019
I have a Cranbrook and when I first built my bike, I had the same problem. The chain would always rub. What I did to resolve the problem was went to my local bike shop and bought a 1.9" diameter tire, it has at least 1/2 inch of clearance on both sides and problem gone. So if I were you, I would get the slightly skinnier tire.

Reactions: Brett S

Brett S

Jun 12, 2023
I have a Cranbrook and when I first built my bike, I had the same problem. The chain would always rub. What I did to resolve the problem was went to my local bike shop and bought a 1.9" diameter tire, it has at least 1/2 inch of clearance on both sides and problem gone. So if I were you, I would get the slightly skinnier tire.
Did exactly so and have zero problems now!

Mossy

May 20, 2022
I've run 2.0 tire with a wiperman 1E8 wide 410 chain... For clearance on a beach cruiser with GT5... The 6mm case with the 1/8 sprocket to do that chain on a 8m case the sprockets need to be ground down and reshaped to fit the thin chain...