China Girl Motor Cent Clutch/Pull Start Pros&Cons

GoldenMotor.com

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
Re: China Girl Cent Clutch/Pull Start Pros&Cons

I've asked for a centrifugal clutch for Christmas, so I guess I may soon be adding one to my engine.

It sounds like a lot of people are happy with them, and apparently you don't need a pull start and it makes idle much smoother.

My question is still if it takes away any power/speed?

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California

I have the CC, but not the pull start. Absolutely love it, best upgrade I have ever done to the bike. It was a pain to get it to fit right, because I had to grind a notch for the small woodruff key in the CC, and had to grind the inside of it to make it fit properly, and I had to get wide cranks, but after all of that. It was very worth it. Idle is great with the NT, but after installing my RT carb its even better. I just pull the clutch to start, and let go of it and forget about it. With the RT carb it idles super low, when I lift the rear tire up, it doesn't spin at all. So I just hop on give it gas and were off.
Theres only a small power loss when you first start going, but after your up to like 6 mph its like a regular bike.

These little things need to come with a CC pre installed. What the point of a manual clutch system when its one gear, and you can't even use the clutch to go from a stop because the clutch pucks are so weak.

Then only thing I have to add is just make sure you have the tools to install it, and your clutch pucks are good and it's not slipping.

Also, I weigh 170, and use a 32T sprocket, and it still pulls great from a dead stop with no pedaling.

Last edited:

Pucksterpete

Nov 7, 2008
France

After following geoldr thread when he was getting his CC, I figured it was time to add mine. I am running a 66cc, with shift kit (8 gears) and pullstart. I had purchased the pullstart a while back for the high compression this motor has and it was a b i t c h to start with the shift kit. No problems since with the pull start. I also added the Jag cdi to help with the cold starts. I can start the bike with either the pullstart or pedaling. I got tired of pulling in the clutch all the time for stops. I had to shave off a little of the inner diameter of the CC to get it on better. It has added a little more noise than what I had before. Before with the regular clutch cover I had the sound dampeners on the inside of the cover and that took a lot of noise away from that area. Now its more of the inner pads on the CC that are rubbing against the housing of the CC when slowing down, but that should wear itself away in time. I might have noticed a little less power, but she pulls great and I weigh 220lbs. The real kick is not having to pull in the clutch anymore. So, on any future builds I will be installing the CC.

Pete

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California

Agreed, it is a bit louder when starting and slowing down, I also had the sound dampeners on the old clutch cover. But its not a big negative point for me.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York

I heartily recommend the CC. All my builds now come with a CC as standard equipment.
I lost count how many built so far, I think in the 20s.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

When a centrifugal clutch is installed, a freewheel hub and sprocket can also be installed. This will result in easier pedalling.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York

When a centrifugal clutch is installed, a freewheel hub and sprocket can also be installed. This will result in easier pedalling.
How so?
When pedaling, just pull in the clutch lever, that will keep the CC from turning and adding parasitic drag.

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado

if you have a shifter kit with a good gearing starting up from a stop even on a steep hill is easy and doesn't cause any problems with the centri-clutch. I have a 34 mega tooth 1st gear and put difference size ring sprockets/drive sprockets so I can climb the steepest of hills from a stop without any issues. Been doing it for 3 years on two bikes on original centri clutch....pads still look like new with minimal wear.

For single speeds, I'd pedal before engaging throttle.