Does anyone answer calls / emails?

GoldenMotor.com

rainmn

Aug 6, 2011
NJ
New here, first post. My apologies for it being so negative for a first one.

I decided a couple weeks ago that I was going to build a MB. Started reading reading a ton of posts here every day, trying to absorb as much info as possible.

I have the bike ready to go, and I'm ready to order an engine kit and some miscellaneous parts.

Since Monday of this week, I've sent out about a half dozen e-mails to different vendors, each with one or two simple questions. I've also placed several phone calls to all of them. So far, I haven't received a single response, or gotten anyone on the phone.

I'm sorry, but there's no way I'm going to place an order with someone who can't answer an e-mail or their phone BEFORE they have my money. If they can't respond now, that's a pretty sure sign that they aren't going to be reachable if I have a problem with my order.

What's wrong with these people? Can anyone recommend a solid vendor to buy a kit from?

I've read a few threads like this, and several recommended Piston Bikes. I've been calling them for the last 2 days without an answer yet.

Gary Harris

Jul 31, 2011
Houston
I ordered the GT-5A on Tuesday from Piston Bikes, and ittl show up today, Friday. If everything is there and looks good, I would recomend them.

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
the only vendor your going to get a response from is thats dax. he has a link to his site over on the edge of the forum. the ones that sell low cost kits don't offer service.

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Welcome, As a member I can tell you if they have an ad here they are a respectible company. We don't put up with non sense here. Maybe time zone thing. If we can help just ask. I do know That'sdax is a real standup company. (c)

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I would say probably its the busiest time of the year for them- and stocks seem low in lots of areas- they probably have more queries coming in-

they may be also spending time trying to get stock in

just sayin

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Typhoon Muifa was in the nooz just a few days back... it hit their eastern seaboard pretty hard... abt a million people were evacuated... and that's where they ship goods from.
..there's always a fly in the ointment...
downgrade in the credit rating...
That ain't gonna do the exchange rate any good!
There may be some re-negotiation of deals over that one if an order had not already been shipped... they DO operate on a very small profit margin over there.
rc

rainmn

Aug 6, 2011
NJ
Typhoon Muifa was in the nooz just a few days back... it hit their eastern seaboard pretty hard... abt a million people were evacuated... and that's where they ship goods from.
..there's always a fly in the ointment...
downgrade in the credit rating...
That ain't gonna do the exchange rate any good!
There may be some re-negotiation of deals over that one if an order had not already been shipped... they DO operate on a very small profit margin over there.
rc
None of this has anything to do with a vendor in the US answering their phone or responding to an e-mail. Even if the response was to say that they are out of stock - that would be 100 times better than no response at all.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Sure they do!
Them guys are busier than a one-armed paper hanger trying to get things together so they can earn a living on whatever profit margin may be generated.
ALL this stuff is related...
If they gotta work a 2nd job to keep their lil ole bike store afloat, that might cut in to the telephone answering time, wouldn't you think?

Of course I agree with you that it's a poor business model to ignore phone calls and emails. **it happens.

Best
rc

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
This will sound cheap. It is. I hired a homeless woman to sit and awnser my phone so I could build bikes. Fed her, gave Her a nice office to work in. She made 25.00 for every bike I sold. 25% over margin for every part that was ordered. She had an apartment in three weeks. Without phone support, your company won't work. (c)

rainmn

Aug 6, 2011
NJ
Sure they do!
Them guys are busier than a one-armed paper hanger trying to get things together so they can earn a living on whatever profit margin may be generated.
ALL this stuff is related...
If they gotta work a 2nd job to keep their lil ole bike store afloat, that might cut in to the telephone answering time, wouldn't you think?

Of course I agree with you that it's a poor business model to ignore phone calls and emails. **it happens.

Best
rc
Live telephone answering is one thing. Not being able to answer an e-mail in a week's time is another.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree here.

If you're willing to send a couple hundred bucks to someone who you have no way of contacting, more power to you. To me, that's just a pretty obvious sign to run away now, while the money's still in my account.

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
One vender I bought parts from said he recieves 200 e-mails per day. He's a one man band, as are others here. They are trying to build customer bikes and fill orders "first". You can surely see the problem with getting e-mails returned, and with the phone inquiries, getting work done.

rainmn

Aug 6, 2011
NJ
Why was this moved to swap and shop?

I'm not selling anything...I was looking for a decent vendor, site sponsor or not, who actually answers e-mails or picks up the phone once in a while.

BTW - I still have yet to receive a single e-mail reply from anyone I've sent one to.

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
I sometimes wait for a week for an email from a frame guy I use. He deals in parts it's cheaper to order from him than to make. Some days I get over 300 emails. Sometimes I kill the wrong ones. Try again. Their spam folder might be set wrong. (c)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
There's a rule here. In fact it is our basic rule. Respect others. If you can't do that then please move on to another topic, or another forum. Insults and arguments will not be tolerated.
Tom