Mr Tuffy work anyone? Avoiding flats on your motorized bicycle may save money.

GoldenMotor.com

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA
I have tried leather belts and they eat away at inner tubes like a pencil eraser does carbon. I have however had great luck with GROCERY STORE grade entry way carpets. I cut them into long strips and put the fuzzy side to the tube and the rubber side to the tire (earth,sky,outside). This has saved me countless hours of patching I figure. My friend told me that adding milk inside the tube will help agains needle punctures. I doubt nails and glass could be prevented but for NM where he lives that solved his problem. Older people I have met used to cut up tires and use the thick rubber inside like I did the carpet. Perhaps rubber inside the tire before the carpet might be best.

What have you done if anything? I also use Mr. Tuffy btw.. Good stuff imo. Wish they were 5-8 dollars though.

the reason I ask is I use a belt drive and a flat could in theory ruin the belt by the flat tire touching it at high speeds.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
the Goatherder runs the best tubes he can find with a double shot of Slime.
He is able to wear his tires down to the cord, if he wishes to do so.
..you may wish to ask him about it...
Best
rc

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Older people I have met used to cut up tires and use the thick rubber inside like I did the carpet. Perhaps rubber inside the tire before the carpet might be best.

I used to do that, cut the side walls off old bicycle tires and use them for liners. Worked great! never had a flat with this method. Can be tricky trying to get the tube not to pinch though.

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA
Re: Mr Tuffy work anyone? Avoiding flats on your motorized bicycle may save money.

Sweet.. Have have some old skins around.. I imagine even some nice worn tread off some cheap knobbies might fit in there as well.

off topic:
Went to the flea market today on my GEBE fix and got all kinds of complements even from some ladies.. Need to do a few tweaks to stop mount tilt and I should be in business. Will start a thread about this one with pictures I think.

I used to do that, cut the side walls off old bicycle tires and use them for liners. Worked great! never had a flat with this method. Can be tricky trying to get the tube not to pinch though.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
When i used tires with knobbys, I would just used a blade and cut the knobbys off.

Only once have I done this on a motorized bicycle. The past few years I have just been using old inner tubes as liners. I just snip the stem off and slip them into my tire always inflating and unflating several times to be sure the tube does not pinch somewhere.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Re: Mr Tuffy work anyone? Avoiding flats on your motorized bicycle may save money.

I bought a big gallon jug of the offroad slime for ATV's, it was expensive but the stuff has big bits of rubber and cloth wadding stuff that will clog up a 1/4" hole supposedly. The regular bike slime has been awesome for mountain biking because it seals up the thorn holes, it won't clog snake bites though.

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA

I just snip the stem off and slip them into my tire always inflating and unflating several times to be sure the tube does not pinch somewhere.
I think I tried that and had problems with the tubes slipping around a but.. Is that what you mean by pinching? It works well for you that method?

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA

Where the heck you riding to get those? I have not experienced things like that ever on the road.. I am in the Midwest though so perhaps the risk factor decreases up here.

it won't clog snake bites though.