Liquid Clutch Pucks?

GoldenMotor.com

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Two new engine kits recently obtained from BGF have reddish-pink clutch pucks that appear to have been poured into the trapezoidal holes.

The pucks conform exactly to the sides of the trapezoid, but 'overflow' at the top and bottom, as if the material was in a liquid state and the clutch assembly was used as a mold and the material poured into the clutch.

The clutch pucks have the consistency and feel of old dried out pink erasers:

Due to their overflow shape, they are hard to remove in order to file them into floating pucks.

Could it be that this clutch material starts out as a liquid?

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Already filed 'em down and installed on bikes, but I have two more engines coming, I will remember to take pics of the clutch and pads, if they are using the same pink stuff.

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
My clutch has those same pucks. If you cut them open or grind them enough, you'll find they have embedded metal flakes or something similar throughout. They seem to work much better than the other type of pucks, and I honestly can't find any material that works better in these engines. I doubt they used the gear as the mold, but they do come very tightly fitted. They are likely oversized and pressed in. I sand mine down to float, as it seems to work better.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
They do have some sort of friction material throughout the pink composite.
Initially, the bottom clutch plate was dull and has rust spots throughout its surface, and after a few miles, that plate is nice, clean and shiny.