Poll, police harrassment depend on your bike?

GoldenMotor.com

Police discrimination based on appearance?

• Yes, people, (even cops) discriminate based on appearance.

Votes: 22 73.3%
  • No, The build style and execution wouldn't matter.

Votes: 8 26.7%

• Total voters

Waspswatter

Feb 17, 2009
Wisconsin, USA
Do you think a police officer is more likely to give a hard time to a rider with a "mountainbike with an engine slapped together" compared to a "nicely painted, custom made parts, classic retro cruiser"?

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
the cops probally wouldnt even notice a old bike or a mountain bike. but get a bright painted up cruiser that looks like a motorcycle and they'll be all over you.

i have a cruiser but its all black and i hid the tank on the rear rack so the bike looks almost like a regular bike.

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
I think the main things to avoid encounters of the police kind are;

1. wear a helmet
2. wear eye protection
3. follow the road rules, stop at lights etc.

I have been "looked over" many times by the law. I do those 3 things. I frequently ride in 35mph traffic and the most I've gotten from a cop is a wave.

Waspswatter

Feb 17, 2009
Wisconsin, USA
I think the main things to avoid encounters of the police kind are;

1. wear a helmet
2. wear eye protection
3. follow the road rules, stop at lights etc.

I have been "looked over" many times by the law. I do those 3 things. I frequently ride in 35mph traffic and the most I've gotten from a cop is a wave.

That's all good advice there, whether the cops are watching or not.

.flg.

retromike3

Jan 9, 2009
Beaverton OR
Like the penguins in Madagascar "just smile and wave Boys, just smile and wave." I have not had problems with the police. I also ware a Bike helmet and try to obey the law. Nerdy yes, but not a lot of trouble.

Last edited:

Norco John

May 26, 2009
Brookston, IN
Our town constable likes my MB. First time he saw it he said "Hey, now *THAT'S* a motor-bicycle!"

I don't make pest out of myself with it like the kids on their pocket bikes (we're about 5 years behind on our fads around here) and don't terrorize little old ladies out for a walk so he doesn't bother me.

BTW, pictures are posted over in the picture forum, so you can check it out.

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
the cops probally wouldnt even notice a old bike or a mountain bike. but get a bright painted up cruiser that looks like a motorcycle and they'll be all over you....
Really? I have never been stopped and I think mine looks as motorcycle like as any....but where I am, I come close to being legal a hair too much HP, a bit too much speed.

Attachments

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
I swear just seeing your bike at a differnet angle makes my lip quiver again. Yors does look more like a motorcycle, fo sho. That puppy is B E A utiful!

Waspswatter

Feb 17, 2009
Wisconsin, USA
So far, what it looks like is that local police opinion seems to be the major factor to determine if they give you a hard time. I don't know the law concerning MB's here, and I'm not sure how to find out. Does anyone reccomend talking to a cop ahead of time to feel them out? or just go ahead and assume I'm not doing anything wrong?

usflg

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
Rather than assuming anything, find out the law to the letter. If you can recite it better than they know know it then you'll be free to go. Just be a respectful citizen, like they said don't be the guy trying to scare old ladies and make more noise than is needed. I'm suspended and technically it's illegal for me to ride mine. I have not been asked for ID or a License any time though.

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
Yes they do stereo type big time, however if you look kinda silly (I do because I'm 5'10" and riding a lil OCC chopper) then they tend to leave you alone. Now if your big pimpin on Bretts Bobber then they might give you a harder time.

Waspswatter

Feb 17, 2009
Wisconsin, USA
My build plan is a "boardtrack" style on an old Schwinn frame, as retro looking as possible. I live in a small town, which I think is more of a liability than a large town. People around here don't seem to like anything different. It's too bad really, this could be a decent place to live if people were'nt so up-tight.
Interestly, a few of the roads and highways around town are designated as ATV trails. I am going to get some more information, but it seems if you can ride an (unliscenced) ATV on the road then they shouldn't have a problem with a motorized bicycle.

bizcotch

Oct 27, 2008
Los Angeles
I think it's appearance does matter a lot. I've rode my bike in front of police officers on motorcycles from neighboring cities in L.A (which are a lot more tougher than L.A.P.D when if comes to issuing tickets and harrassment) and they have loved it. I think that their attention is drawn into the uniqueness of the bike and tend to forget about it being a bicycle and issuing me a ticket for no registration, turn signals, m2 license etc...Below is a picture of my bike taken by another member at a meet. As you can clearly see, it now looks more like motorcycle rather than a motorized bicylce :)
[/IMG]

Last edited:

Waspswatter

Feb 17, 2009
Wisconsin, USA
I think it's appearance does matter a lot. I've rode my bike in front of police officers on motorcycles from neighboring cities in L.A (which are a lot more tougher than L.A.P.D when if comes to issuing tickets and harrassment) and they have loved it. I think that their attention is drawn into the uniqueness of the bike and tend to forget about it being a bicycle and issuing me a ticket for no registration, turn signals, m2 license etc...Below is a picture of my bike taken by another member at a meet. As you can clearly see, it now looks more like motorcycle rather than a motorized bicylce :)
I love it too! This is kind of what I meant for the poll. It seems like a well crafted bike like this would get more respect than a thrown-together commuter, (no offence meant to those who just want simple and cheap transportation). Of course that's just my opinion and I want to hear from everybody else.

BTW, is that a chinese cruiser frame? It looks like the Micargi frame I was going to buy before I found the Schwinn.

bizcotch

Oct 27, 2008
Los Angeles
I love it too! This is kind of what I meant for the poll. It seems like a well crafted bike like this would get more respect than a thrown-together commuter, (no offence meant to those who just want simple and cheap transportation). Of course that's just my opinion and I want to hear from everybody else.

BTW, is that a chinese cruiser frame? It looks like the Micargi frame I was going to buy before I found the Schwinn.
You're right! its a Micargi "huntington frame". very good bike, no problems whatsoever. I just love the low and stretched stance of the frame. It was perfect for this project

p.s-thanks for the compliment

Last edited: