Chevy Orange Sears "Free Spirit"

GoldenMotor.com

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
I have always been partial to the color "Chevy engine orange" so I decided to paint my latest build with it. This bike started as a 25 year old Sears & Robuck Free Spirit I found on craigslist for $20.
I thought the front fork looked awfully fragile, so I changed it to a suspension fork I had off an old Mt. bike. I didn't think the kit tank would look good on the small top tube so I machined a tank out of thin wall aluminum tubing and stuck it behind the seat. Mounted a small 12 volt rechargeable battery on the rear rack so I could run a bright l.e.d. headlight and tail light. Nine l.e.d. on the headlight and six on the tail light. I machined the head light, so I made a miniature matching parking light for the front. Nice V brake on the front and coaster brake on the back. The small nitrous bottle on this bike is actually a small boost bottle that I built and am trying out. Thats about it for this one.

John

Attachments

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
Don't know how much you would charge but you could sell that gas tank!!Walter F.
It only holds about a quart, but I could build one if someone had a special need for it. I certainly wouldn't be able to charge today's machine shop rates, but since I am retired and have alot of spare time I make some pretty good deals. Can also machine some pretty fancy aluminum headlights with nice automotive wedge base bulb sockets. I have tons of that stuff since I also build and sell Lighthouses.

John

Walter F.

Jun 4, 2008
Connecticut
Well without holding your feet to the fire, can you give us a rough idea on price? I like the way you have it mounted so some kind of mount needs to go with it. Walter F.

raneyd

Doug in Wyoming
May 16, 2008
I admire what you built.

I too would like to know more about having a tank built, the cost, size options and the system you suggest for mounting it.

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
Tank Walter F.
Walter, I will see what I have for material. That is actually three pieces. The center tubing and solid end caps machined with O ring seals. The mounting would be the problem as everyone would want to mount them different. This one is held down to the rear rack with large hose clamps.

John

Attachments

motor bike mike

Jun 11, 2009
Illinois
i wanna do a free spirit bike build too. i just pulled one out of my shed but dont know where to start. what will i have to do? its completly original.

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
i wanna do a free spirit bike build too. i just pulled one out of my shed but dont know where to start. what will i have to do? its completly original.
The old Free Spirits are a very easy frame to work with. It is probably the small frame tubing like the one I have. The radius on the motor mounts should fit the frame perfect without any changing.
Mine was originally a 3 speed rear hub but I ended up not using it because I switched to wider rims and tires.
It ended up being a pretty sweet bike and is being shipped U.P.S. to my son in Arizona.

Good luck with yours, if you have any questions feel free to ask.

John

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Boy, you do nice work! I love the headlight and really like the gas tank. That's nice for a behind the seat mount, but I can also see a longer one fitting in to the frame of a board track racer, too.
I'm attaching a photo of my Worksman in the works which shows a kind of mock up of a cylinder tank taped into place between the cross tubes. The long fill tube on yours would work perfectly. What do you think? Would you be interested in making a longer version? I think you could sell them for sure! I like the way the tank and the headlight tie in to each other visually. Really nice and gives an old time hand crafted look. Please consider the long tank...
Silverbear