Anyone using Weinmann DH-39 rims?

GoldenMotor.com

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
Since I laced my first wheel, I am all kinda worried about failure due to lightweight material.

Have any of you had any experience with these rims? Iv'e found them with coaster brakes for $50. I'd like disk brakes, but couldn't seem to find them. Coaster brakes front and rear on stout rims would make me happy though.

Thanks for any info you can pass on.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
The Weinmann DH-39 is very similar to the alexrims DX32 in construction, the companies are very similar too from what I've seen of their products. I've a set of three DX32s on my taddy (26" & 2x 20"s) which is a somewhat heavy build and I've been very impressed with the durability so far...

As for disk brakes & custom wheelsets it's often easier & even sometimes cheaper to buy just the rim & lace it (or have it laced) to a hub/brake of your choosing.

Hope this helps you a bit ;)

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2013
RI
As for disk brakes & custom wheelsets it's often easier & even sometimes cheaper to buy just the rim & lace it (or have it laced) to a hub/brake of your choosing.

Hope this helps you a bit ;)
might you have any links to sources for rims and spokes and such? ...i'm kinda in the process of teaching myself how to lace my own wheels and i've seen several hubs i'd like to be using on Amazon and other places, hubs seem pretty easy to find but just rims, not so much.

anyway, if you have any links to where i can source just rims and spokes and such i'd be grateful.

peace, bozo

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I really wish I could help more but I just use Amazon for my rim & hub purchases (Amazon has a great rating system) & that's worked out really well for me so far - as for lacing custom wheelsets, swapping out very similar rims isn't that difficult & there's many a tut about but when you're getting into different sized hub flanges and rim heights (crown) like my projects tend to entail... well, now your getting into custom, even oddball spoke lengths & TBH I hate math so I cheat and have a good friend of mine at my LBS build my wheels for me :oops:

Granted, that's lazy and I outa build them myself heh *shrug* It all depends on your local bike shop I s'pose, mine is awesome and comparatively inexpensive so I avail myself of their services whenever I need custom wheels, lacing single sided disk hubs into 20"s & ebike hubs etc... it does gets tricky lol

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
The DH-39 is a great candidate for relacing, the hoops are great and the spokes are 12g Sapim stainless. The hubs that come with the wheels need tossing!

When I (re)built my bike "OCD" back in 2010, I bought a pair of DH-39s and a pair of Sturmey hubs and had them built with same spokes in 4-cross.
These wheels have over 6K miles on them without any issues. I just had another one done with a 5-speed Sturmey, great wheels.

In the beginning tho, I had a set of tires with slippery beads (Bontrager Hank) that caused many cut valve stems.
DH-39 require tires with fatter beads, or they may rotate on wheel.
In that pic the tires are 26x2.35 Kenda Kiniptions.

If you order the DH-39, I strongly advise you also order a proper rimstrip. There isn't one included.
If you need custom-length spokes, http://holmeshobbies.com/ has Sapims in many sizes.

Good luck building your wheels! :D

Last edited:

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
I have a pair of DH-39s going on my eBike build. The rear is laced with a hub motor and the front is currently at the bike shop getting laced with an SA 90mm drum. So I have not ridden on them yet, but they seem good and beefy for a cheap wheel. I cannot wait!

Attachments

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Awesome, maurtis, I think you'll like the combo, keep us posted!

They will prolly need custom spokes to lace the 90MM drum to the DH-39 unless they have spoke thread cutters.
LOL, oddly enough when I called yesterday to find out the status on the build they had ordered the wrong length spokes so the wheel builder was going to cut them down and roll new threads manually. I laced the rear myself but figured I would leave my main braking wheel to the pros ;)

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Finally got my drum brake back from the LBS, they apologized for taking so long and did not charge for the spokes, labor only, so I am good with that. They are a small mom-and-pop shop and very personable.

I also got my springer in from VMB yesterday, perfect timing! So got the front end together and the 2.4" CST Cyclops on the Weinmann DH-39 fits with about 0.25" clearance on each side. I cannot wait to see how they ride!

Attachments