Rear hub making nasty noises

GoldenMotor.com

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
I think my engine has cooked my coaster brake hub.
During pedaling it makes this nasty snap-pop noise. It rides smooth, with the exception of the hub. lol
I am wondering if there is anything I can do other that replace the wheel, which I will do anyway, since I will likely screw something up. lol

Thanks.:-||

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Have you removed the wheel and checked it out? Could be the chain making that noise.

At least take it apart and find out where the noise is coming from, you may save it.

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
Have you removed the wheel and checked it out? Could be the chain making that noise.

At least take it apart and find out where the noise is coming from, you may save it.
Yes.
No, it's not
That's what I was thinking, I will likely have to buy a new wheel anyway, so I might as well yank it all apart.
When was the last time you seviced it .
Serviced it?
LMAO
Never. Stock grease that's inside it. :D
Sounds like the snap ring holding on the sprocket poped off.
Sprockets still on though...I've already tried adjusting the wheel.
I'd check the bearings, MaBs get bikes going much faster than they typically can go and bearings take the brunt of the punishment.
Yeah, thats what I've read so far on the topic.
Anyone know how much longer I can get it to go right now before it totally grenades itself?

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I think my engine has cooked my coaster brake hub.
During pedaling it makes this nasty snap-pop noise. It rides smooth, with the exception of the hub. lol
I am wondering if there is anything I can do other that replace the wheel, which I will do anyway, since I will likely screw something up. lol

Thanks.:-||
Take it apart and inspect it. If it's ok, lube it up, and put it back together.

This might help.

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=24820

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Better inspect the bearings and races closely. If it's been making noise, there's a good chance that damage has been done.

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
Well. Update time.
I pulled it apart last weekend at work, overall, not too bad. The outside bearing pack (engine side) has 3 bearings that are messed up. But everything else looks fine. I am likely going to the bike shop today to see if they have any bearing packs as well as get a new brake arm and a couple dust covers (mine are all screwed up, lol). Anyway, PICTURE TIME! :D

Inside of the hub, doesn't look TOO bad....

You can see the HUGE difference in the grease...on the right is the pedal-side, the left is the engine side....the engine just cooked the grease somehow.

Then there's this guy....

And if you look closely in this one you can see the 3 screwed up bearing on that pack.....

I greased everything with hi-temp grease and put it back together. It still makes a little noise, but not near the noise it did make. I haven't even ridden it yet, I wanna see if I can get a new bearing pack.

IlliniRider

Jul 4, 2012
Champaign IL.
After looking at the previous pictures I would say that the spokes carved the divots on the sprocket. Look at where the outermost spokes just bend to enter the hub. What kind of sprocket to wheel connection do you use? If it is the standard rag joint then maybe it has not been assembled in the normal sandwich pattern.

abikerider

Jul 7, 2008
Sacramento, CA
Sounds like the heat from your coaster brake cooked the grease. That's what happens to coaster hubs when you exceed their ability. Do you have any long downhills where you use your brake to regulate your speed? That would do it.

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
After looking at the previous pictures I would say that the spokes carved the divots on the sprocket. Look at where the outermost spokes just bend to enter the hub. What kind of sprocket to wheel connection do you use? If it is the standard rag joint then maybe it has not been assembled in the normal sandwich pattern.
I figured out that the spokes did it. lol
I use the stock, annoying rubber and metal plate setup. I don't have rubber between the sprocket and the wheel though, and I am sure that's what caused it. I would put the rubber there but it won't fit because of the coaster arm.
Yeah, that definitely looks like the ragjoint wasn't installed properly! Lucky you didn't lose any spokes, but now they're probably compromised anyway.
Dude, my chain tensioner had taken a dive into the wheel the first time I tried to crank it, if I didn't lose any spokes then, I won't now. ;)
My bike came with 12ga spokes, stock.
Sounds like the heat from your coaster brake cooked the grease. That's what happens to coaster hubs when you exceed their ability. Do you have any long downhills where you use your brake to regulate your speed? That would do it.
Yup. :)
Couple times I got off to check it and I burned myself. lol

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
It would sure help to know exactly what bike and motor kit you are using.

I can take a guess though, did you use an $80 Huffy bike from Wally World (Wallmart)?
That's sure what it looks like, seen it time and time again.
If it's not then disregard the following.

Now you'll have to buy a new back wheel and put hours into transferring the sprocket to it and it will still be a crap bike that has cost you more than a good bike to start with.
Fix it? Come on, as the old Kenny Rogers song goes 'you got to know when hold 'em, and got to know when to fold 'em' ya know?

My only advice is just go buy a good quality bike and move the whole motor kit over to it and toss the POS in the trash because no matter how much you try to polish a turd it's still a turd.

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
It would sure help to know exactly what bike and motor kit you are using.

I can take a guess though, did you use an $80 Huffy bike from Wally World (Wallmart)?
That's sure what it looks like, seen it time and time again.
If it's not then disregard the following.

Now you'll have to buy a new back wheel and put hours into transferring the sprocket to it and it will still be a crap bike that has cost you more than a good bike to start with.
Fix it? Come on, as the old Kenny Rogers song goes 'you got to know when hold 'em, and got to know when to fold 'em' ya know?

My only advice is just go buy a good quality bike and move the whole motor kit over to it and toss the POS in the trash because no matter how much you try to polish a turd it's still a turd.
Am I using a walmart Huffy? **** yeah.
Do I give a rat's ass what you think? **** no.

Am I going to buy a new wheel? Nope. I'm going to make this work. Unlike everyone else, I have a habit of taking the hard road that no one else takes.

The funniest thing is that, until here just recently, all the problems I have had with my gas bike were related to the ENGINE. Not the bike itself. I've flipped this damn bike over a curb at 15 mph, I expected the fork and front wheel to be trash. Were they? Nope. I had everything fixed on the bike within 10 min.
Would I have liked to have bought a quality bike for this build? Well, yeah. That would have been nice. But why should I buy a bike for $300 to slap a $200 engine kit on it only to have something on the bike fail catastrophically and leave me broke? When you're 17, get paid sub-minimum wage and sometimes not at all, have a $200+ dollar per month insurance payment, and have to pay for your own gas, you really can't be throwing around a sh1tload of cash on a hobby such as this. Which is why I bought my Huffy (which was $100 mind you).

So, long story short, just as your mother should have taught you, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. I've done most of my research, I knew the problems associated with the walmart bikes (save for the unsuitable grease in the hubs) and I was willing to take that chance. And you know what? It's my bike. Not yours. So why should you care at all? I mean really. If I want to paint my bike a lime green with a gold leaf, I can, because it's mine. And that's all it is.

Thank you for your time.

*EDIT*
And why is a Biblical word edited? Seriously.

crmachineman

May 24, 2012
New Hampshire
Hey, I've got the same wheel, and discovered a damaged ball race too. Does anyone know where to get parts for this worksman wheel hub online?

-Fred
:-||