A couple questions

GoldenMotor.com

greenhorn

Jul 13, 2011
pennsylvania
I just got a partially completed bike and have a couple newbie questions. What is the white wire for? And how do you wire a kill switch? Thanks in advance for the help

greenhorn

Jul 13, 2011
pennsylvania
GearNut, Thank you for your help but leads to another question. The box of parts that came with this bike has a red push button that i assumed was a kill switch. The thing is it only has one wire coming off of it. Do you think it,s possibly not actually a kill switch? The diagram makes sense if there were two wires comin off the switch. Hmm.. do i use a jumper wire for the second one clamped under the switch so when pushed it connects?
Would you consider the white wire an accessory wire? A light or horn etc..?
Thanks again, especially for your patience. I,m sure my questions are kindergarden but hopefully when i post a picture of the bike when i,m done u,ll feel it was worth helpin.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
A one wire kill button supplied with the kit? Now there's a new one....
Usually these types of buttons use the handlebar mounting straps as the other side of the switched circuit.
Well..... you can just attach the single kill wire to the blue wire connection between the CDI box and magneto. But..... That would mean that the ground connection for the button has to go through the handlebars, gooseneck, greased fork bearings, and finally to the bicycle frame.
It will work but I cannot recommend relying on the greased bearings for a long term reliable connection. Any electricity traveling through them runs the risk of arcing and pitting the bearings and bearing races. You would be better off putting the switch somewhere on the bicycle frame (if it actually is big enough to fit a frame tube) or running a second wire from the kill button's mounting screw to the black wire connection between the CDI and magneto.

The white wire can be used for powering a low power charging system for low power batteries, a headlight, horn, taillight, ect.
It puts out 6 volts, 0.5 amps, 3 watts if you are lucky. Quite a few put out less than that. If you try to hook up accessories that draw more power than it can supply, it disrupts the signal from the magneto to CDI box and kills the ignition spark.

Last edited: