New Spark plug wire or how to ruin a CDI

GoldenMotor.com

Hammond Egger

Oct 23, 2010
Tucson, AZ
I have three motors. I decided to upgrade the spark plug wires because of the cheap, poorly engineered bakelite boot on the ones that come with the kit. One of the plug wires easily unscrewed from the CDI and the new one screwed in. End of problem. The second one was a different story. I tried to unscrew the wire and it would not come loose. I tried pliers and ended up twisting off the wire. Then I tried to dig what was left of the old wire out of the connection to no avail. Apparently they have started gluing the wire in with some kind of glue or something. I guess Mr. Grubee wants to make sure that his low quality parts stay on his low quality motors.

MB-Monkey

Nov 19, 2008
Manchester TN USA
now that stinks it seems alot of things coming from china lately have been glued in place i saw someone else talking about a carb screw being glued as well.

Lowandslow

Jan 24, 2011
Mesa,AZ
Same here. Went to replace the wire and it would not "unscrew". Kept at it until it twisted off! I then dug out the remains with a very small & thin screwdriver. Got my new wire in, we'll see if she runs soon.

showcaller

Mar 9, 2011
Los Angeles
I want to replace that wire on my Raw 49 after reading enough posts saying it is worth it. I tried to unscrew it to no avail and I thought I better not force it. I am replacing the plug and I might just settle for that unless someone can tell me if there is a trick or something from removing the other end.

show

Hammond Egger

Oct 23, 2010
Tucson, AZ
It looks like they are using super glue to glue the wire into the CDI. Acetone or nail polish remover with an acetone base is supposed to dissolve it.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I second the notion of do NOT superglue the replacement in. Dielectric grease is a very good compound to use to prevent it from seizing in place and waterproofing the connection.

Lowandslow

Jan 24, 2011
Mesa,AZ
Sorry guys about the super glue comment. I was'nt really planning on gluing my wire in.
Not after having to dig out the factory wire which WAS glued in! I too used the grease and shrink tube. I'm going to take it back out tho and get a coppper core wire instead of the carbon wire. After reading several posts about low voltage ignition systems and testing my wire I concluded that a copper wire is better to use.

grkboy707

Mar 14, 2011
MD
Hey guys, noob here. I'm having trouble keeping my engine running. I think it could be the plug wire. I accidentally pulled the wire itself out of the little 90 degree angle thing. On the 90 degree angle part, the inside consisted only of the threaded end of a screw, and on the wire, it was just, well...some copper wire. I also unscrewed something when I first put the plug into the plug wire. I think I got it back in, but I'm not sure. It seems to hold tight. Anything that can help me? Sorry for my noobness

showcaller

Mar 9, 2011
Los Angeles
Okay, could someone please straighten out here. I got my package today from Sick Bike Parts. The U joint that attaches to the front mount of the engine I can't install because I have to run the wires down the frame differently to make it work and I didn't want to deal with it because I was running out of time, so I thought I would install the new high performance spark plug I also bought and feel good that I did something on the bike today. I pulled the stock plug out, put the new one in, tried to attach the end of the wire... AND THEN I REALIZED WHY EVERYONE REPLACES THE WIRE WITH AN AUTOMOTIVE ONE! DUH... no way was that going to fit on top of the terminal like the other one. I suppose I could find a small screw that would fit into the terminal and then the wire would attach like it did with the old plug, BUT this is not reason for writing.

I took the new plug out sat it side by side next to the old one and it extends at least a quarter of an inch further down into the cylinder head than the old one. Is this acceptable!!!!! Should I be glad that the wire would not attach to the terminal? What do you guys do when it comes to installing a high performance plug? Should I not be concerned and go ahead and buy one of those automotive spark plug wires? Still trying to figure out how to get the wire out of the CDI!!!!!

"If it was meant to be easy, everyone would be doing it." Gene Autrey

adam valentine

Sep 27, 2010
Mission Kansas
don't worry mine screws down a lot further than the factory plug did and its fine it also takes up space adding a little more compression= power as far as the top of your plug it will unscrew with a vise grip but i do have to say i like my copper core wire and will send you one if you want and you can use your old plastic head with it your wire will unscrew from the cdi/ plug wire head

showcaller

Mar 9, 2011
Los Angeles
Okay, so you are saying don't worry about the extra length of the new plug, it won't smash the piston, or should i say the piston won't smash into it! As far as the terminal on the new plug, you are suggesting that with a vice grip that whole top will screw off leaving the same kind of post as the original plug? Hmmmm, okay sounds good. I will try that this evening. If I have success with that then I will tackle the the new wire. My fear is that I try twisting it off the CDI and it breaks at a point where I can't salvage anything!

adam valentine

Sep 27, 2010
Mission Kansas
its just a screw thread sticking our of your cdi and you plug boot and yes the plug tip should screw off leaving just threads like the old plug what plug did you get i know 4 sure the nkg and the auto lights all do

showcaller

Mar 9, 2011
Los Angeles
Bingo! Yep, a pair of pliers took the top right off. I go the NGK bpr7 hix which I understand is on par with the other high performance plugs.

Okay now that is done... Lets talk about the cdi. the wire coming out of it, should I just keep twisting that counter clockwise? It just seems like it is in there and it is or feels loose. How are you suggesting I get it out?

adam valentine

Sep 27, 2010
Mission Kansas
yep turn counter clock wise and do the same to the boot and wire will be free if you want a copper core wire they are like 15-20 bucks or give me your address and buy a new boot cause they come in 6 foot lengths only and i have like 2-3 feet left after sending it to people i can send tomorrow and it will be there in 3 days