modified 66cc Ht bicycle engine in bmx

GoldenMotor.com

dylan1024

Oct 29, 2010
RSA
project weedbike started a good few years ago as a bmx powered by a weedeater motor, the pullstart died and that was the end of that.

we now have a 66cc ht motor
stripped it down the day it arrived and began "fixing"

new bearings and seals for the crank
new bearings for the output shaft
some spacers to keep the little end needle roller in place
lubrication holes to crank bearings
matched the crankcase to the trasfer ports

in all our haste to strip the motor when it arrived we failed to notice that at BDC the piston covers half of the transfers and exhaust port, a semi-simple fix: a 4mm ally spacer under the jug and the piston crown is now tangent to the exhaust port at BDC, no gasket, 5min epoxy to seal jug to crankcase.

raising the jug changes port timing, the inlet side of the piston skirt needed trimming and the exhaust port needed to be raised

transfers: i could not get my dremel slinky attachment in there so i scraped them smooth with a piece of sharpened HSS.

176deg exhaust
133deg tranfer
155 deg inlet
the head was a failure, had it welded like Foureasy did, but the welding had bubbles. so we made a button style cc that will be held in by the old head.
60%squish

more to follow in the new year,

busy designing the tuned pipe now.

Attachments

Last edited:

dylan1024

Oct 29, 2010
RSA
Re: modified 66cc Ht in bmx

a little more progress:

head has been modded to accept new CC
4mm base shim for jug has been made up
squish clearance adjusted to 0.6mm
28tooth rear sprocket

next up: quick tuned pipe just to get it going so we can get propper measurements to construct a correctly tuned pipe

thumbsucking 8k rpm for now

Attachments

dylan1024

Oct 29, 2010
RSA

our "testing" pipe design

just to see if we in the ballpark with rpm guestimates

after that i think we have a good trick up our sleeves.....

Attachments

furament

May 31, 2009
ontaro

you know i always liked firextingusers and yellows good. with the head milled like that are you gunna get aney leakes?

Last edited:

dylan1024

Oct 29, 2010
RSA

the new button style cc sits on an annealed alluminium gasket in the recess machined in the jug... hope that makes sense

old head is just used to clamp the new cc in place against gasket

dylan1024

Oct 29, 2010
RSA

have never heard of bmx friction... what is it?

bit of an update, wile tuned pipe sections are at the laser cutters i am building us a spot welder.

we will spot the pipe together (0.2mm stainless) and then braise the joints to seal it

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH

have never heard of bmx friction... what is it?

bit of an update, wile tuned pipe sections are at the laser cutters i am building us a spot welder.

we will spot the pipe together (0.2mm stainless) and then braise the joints to seal it
friction drive kits mount directly to the back wheel meaning you don't need the frame clearance for the engine, since you're not putting it in frame. so bmx bikes could possibly take one with out problems. idk if a 20" tire will be big enough for the mount though.

dylan1024

Oct 29, 2010
RSA

ran it today without the pipe, was good fun :D

vibrates like crazy though, so next week split the crankcase halves and try ballance the crank..... not so much fun :(

CalzHT

Jan 25, 2011
South Africa

Nice!! When you going to build an intake manifold and slap a bigger carb on there?

Then some of this.xct2