forced air induction?

GoldenMotor.com

mr.charlie

Jul 27, 2010
tavares florida "lake county"
ok this goes out to all the carb guru's....im new to this 2 stroke game, but have years of automotive experience.....im stare'n at my bike and thinkin how i can increase the surface area/air intake to the carb, i filed the intake tube and it sits flush to the inside base of the carb, so i have no visible air leakage, i gained well over a 1/4 inch towards the intake port, and the clamp is less than a 1/4 inch from the bottom of the 45 degree seam/weld of the factory intake.
(note to all...even a cheapo dremel kit is indispensable when building one of these kits as i feel that the more you can dial in the better?)

so, with that im wonderin' has anyone one taken compressed air (regulated down) and "shot it" at the face of the stock air filter housein, with the bike up on stands runnin, and noticed any change in rpm?....im talkin about just a wisp of air equivalent to what you'd get at say 20-25 mph on the road?.....

my whole point to all of this is that im gonna (try) fabricate an airbox/snorkel shaped intake tube out of a Craftsman wet vac attachment that will sit close to the frame and slip fit at a 90 degree over the 4 tubes of the stock plastic filter housein (which will be turned to 9 o'clock lookin from the rear of the bike)..if any of you have a Craftsman wet vac its the attachment that fits the smaller hose its about 6 inches wide at the mouth, has a gentle curve to it and funnels down rather nicely to 2 inches at the hose conection area. i thinkin that it might have the same effect as an exspansion tube on the exhaust side?.....am i gettin over the top here?....can anyone visualize what im seein?....i got the idea from lookin at my friends harley air cleaner that looks like an old hillborn injector hat like they run on top fuel funny cars....i will leave the factory mesh element in place so thers no turbulence..and im thinkin that the carb will have more air to utilize rather than just suckin from the back of the engine at the seat down tube?......

right now i feel like richard dryfuss from "Close Encounters"

.... i just raided the wifes tupperware cabinet and found a small round container...1.1 cup..(rubbermaid).....with a snap on lid...that could be cut to slip over the 4 tube factory intake as well....maybe remove the factory mesh, and fill this with some type of foam,....drill holes in the snap lid and body of it?

any thoughts on this?....good, bad or indifferent.....lemme know....charlie

funderb

Oct 22, 2010
Florida
what you're trying to do is make a ram air...
its been pointed out to me before, you just don't move fast enough for it to really work.

As for shooting air in, without careful and precise metering of fuel air, you will most likely overlean the mixture and shut down the engine.

That being said, there is no harm trying at all. If you can get it to work, more power to you, and I look forward to the results.

mr.charlie

Jul 27, 2010
yep a ram-air..ala olds w30, boss 302..etc...as for shootin air i only ment to simulate the ambiant pressure that you'd see at say 25mph-30mph cause i intend to still use some sort of filter element so i dont think it will go lean? ..hey i don't know?..... but i do intend to try it!...its alot more fun an cost effective to play with these bike kits than car's...as soon as i can re-size pics i'll post 'em......where are you in fla?...thanx for the input ,....charlie

funderb

Oct 22, 2010
Florida
Absolutely, its always worth the try.
I tried a miniature version on mine, I assembled it out of a couple soup cans. I could only tell a minute difference if any. At this point all the porting and tinkering I've done has gotten it beyond what I expected. I'll see if I can find a picture to post.

Start by drawing some pictures and cutting shapes out of card board to simulate what you want, that way, when you go to do the final cut, you've done it already, and know what to expect.

I'm in hilly tally btw. Well, as hilly as FLA gets.

motorhead419

Jul 6, 2009
ohio
I race drag bikes and to achieve the proper amount of ram air to make it effective you have to have speed. These china girls don't go fast enough to get the proper ram air effect..Get a 18mm Mikuni and an expansion chamber and match your ports and you will feel the difference. Then you can re-gear for more speed and be able to pull the gear.xct2.shft.

Hiigel

Oct 23, 2010
Eastern Oregon
I have thought the same thing about forcing more air. My 66/80 manual says the white wire is for running a headlight. Maybe, if you can find one, an old 6 volt blower of some kind, and mated to your vac attachment.

Just a thought.

Let us know what you come up with that works!!!

Gary

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
I am thinking of possibly a forward pointing (areo dynamic )colector,in front of the fork w/a large (foot or more squar) opening/closing grate on the top angle,with a collection box to balance pressure before the final tube the size of the outter large circle the air filter screws too,I would think this would allow increased pressure w/out any miss-directed air over the carb intake area that delivers the fuel mix,will probibly use a bit more fuel,w/out a reed valve it will be like going from colorado to sea level

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I have thought the same thing about forcing more air. My 66/80 manual says the white wire is for running a headlight. Maybe, if you can find one, an old 6 volt blower of some kind, and mated to your vac attachment.

Just a thought.

Let us know what you come up with that works!!!

Gary
A (kinda sorta) super-charged China girl?!?! I'm going speechless at this point.

Erich_870

Dec 4, 2009
Alaska
What I'd think would be fun to try is making a small "ram air funnel" and straping the engine to the top of a lumber rack on a pickup truck and seeing if you could see an improvement in power. Finding a reasonable way to measure power output would take some research though. These little engines are so light and portable that testing them would be pretty easy. Rigging one up to an alternator so you could record the power output might work...

Erich

mr.charlie

Jul 27, 2010
A (kinda sorta) super-charged China girl?!?! I'm going speechless at this point.
speechless....im gettin ready to "twist up a fatty!"....as i dont know if its satire or honest ingenuity???????.....my original thought was to have a positive source of air availiable......but after reading that the jug can and has been 180'd with sucess, it kinda negates the original issue.....why do i think too much?:-||

mr.charlie

Jul 27, 2010
I race drag bikes and to achieve the proper amount of ram air to make it effective you have to have speed. These china girls don't go fast enough to get the proper ram air effect..Get a 18mm Mikuni and an expansion chamber and match your ports and you will feel the difference. Then you can re-gear for more speed and be able to pull the gear.xct2.shft.
thank -you....nothin better than the voice of experience.........

mr.charlie

Jul 27, 2010
Ok all...it's done...i actually fabricated a pretty cool lookin cold-air induction today....and i noticed a dramatic difference/smooth response across the whole range of throttle twist...it bolts up to the existin factory carb face/throat/plenum. the choke is fully functional, it doesn't interfere with anything..it is very simplistic in design...tommorow i plan on gettin an NGK plug and doin some evaluation to see if its leanin out the fuel mixture....i did not change any of the factory settings of the needle slot....i probley quadrupled the total surface area in comparison to the stock fluted black cap.....at this time i have no intention of postin any pics or listing what i used.....(i did not use anything close to my original post ie vacumm cleaner snorkel)..i will make several duplicates and i intend to approach Jim in Clearwater...as well as Foureasy in Arizona...and ask them to evaluate it...then we'll see what comes of it.......You all might think im crazy but this is how things get put into production.........wee.

Gene1

Nov 29, 2010
South Africa
i will make several duplicates and i intend to approach Jim in Clearwater...as well as Foureasy in Arizona...and ask them to evaluate it...then we'll see what comes of it.......You all might think im crazy but this is how things get put into production.........wee.
So, any feedback on the evaluation of the ram air mods?

mr.charlie

Jul 27, 2010
So, any feedback on the evaluation of the ram air mods?
no, as i just finished the original yesterday afternoon.....today it will get a good plug....and a fresh tank of high quality oil an gas....and i'll go from there.....let me say, that this is not a quest for horse-power....but more so a half-a$$ed attempt of a tuned source of fresh ambient air, with a smooth transition to the carb throat, the pieces used are seamless with no kinks and by design away from any heat given off by the lil engine.......

steve'o

Dec 26, 2010
australia
What about the idea some people have tried by turning the engine barrel around so the carb is out the front (on a bike with plenty of room at the front of the engine) and having an air filter that acts a little like a funnel. I am workin on it, but she leans out at speed so I am waiting for a set of jet drills so I can play with that.

steve'o

Dec 26, 2010
australia
Thats the sort of thing Im refering too. I have a 48cc with a nice expansion chamber and the usual mods, and it has fantatic pick up. Still running the new rings in, and its lean at WOT, so not really flat out speed yet. Another point I've realised is how cold the carby and intake manifold runs. I first realised when as an experiment I extended the intake with a nice shiny peice of 3/4 stainless tube. When cruising around, I wondered what the cold stuff was occasionally dropping on my ankles. The inlet and carb were gathering and dropping condensation drops like when you leave something cold from the refrigerator on the bench. When I park the bike the carby feels like a little ice block and cold water drops can even fall off. Colder intake air/fuel mixture should improve power, as well as a bit of positive air pressure. Compared to a hot and slightly negative air pressure behind a fast moving air cooled motor, this motor develops allot more power with the carb now at the front.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I bet one could rig up a computer case fan in front of the carb and power it off the white wire as an electric supercharger.
That's an interesting thought Nougat. Would an on/off switch be of any advantage? So no draw at idle and at high revs were there is more juice, give the power boost? Am asking. Really does sound like a cool experiment.

I don't think an un-powered fan would block the intake much as it would free wheel. Might even work some to dampen shock/wave noise escaping.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Wow, there ya go. True. Have an electrical engineer who lives across the street and will ask him about that. I want to get him to help me with a front wheel mounted stator generator that will work with any MB. (12V) Guy is really cool and enjoys alternate use of existing products. The challenge of it.

Left this for a few and thought some sort of dimmer switch to adjust. Differing altitudes, conditions, engines etc) Also the low oil wiring on the HFs put out around 1 volt at idle. Could be an option. Really interesting concept. All academic for me and really looking forward to what folks well versed in electronics think.

What a great hobby/obsession. Always some thing to learn or consider.