Homemade turn indicator attachment!

GoldenMotor.com

nhssdf4

Jun 21, 2010
Ruston, LA
Ever wanted to convey you intentions to someone behind you?
Now you can! I just spent the last two days building it, and other than a little more velcro it is perfect!
I made a youtube video of it an took some pictures. But it is all way to complicated for me to explain lol... Plus it was pretty expensive... Well only for the micro controller. But other than that it was pretty cheap. Its made out of a hobby box from Radio shack, a seat post mounting (Schwinn) carrier at Wal-Mart, some shelf rails, Lights, 2 6v batteries, and a Parallax Boe Bot (130$).. I only have the boe bot cuz they made us buy it for college classes... It just sits around most of the time. But watch my youtube video and comment please. Criticism is always welcome if constructive!

*And i just rode it and other than a double A falling out, it was great!*

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
That's pretty cool....also looks like a lot of work went into it!

My only suggestion...maybe shorten up those indicator arms- they'd be pretty easy to tear off in a tight squeeze or perhaps injures closeby pedestrians.

Something like that is *way* beyond my skill level-so hat's off to your ingenuity!

-George

PS- How much did something like that cost in parts?

nhssdf4

Jun 21, 2010
Ruston, LA
That's pretty cool....also looks like a lot of work went into it!

My only suggestion...maybe shorten up those indicator arms- they'd be pretty easy to tear off in a tight squeeze or perhaps injures closeby pedestrians.

Something like that is *way* beyond my skill level-so hat's off to your ingenuity!

-George

PS- How much did something like that cost in parts?
Well, i can see why you would shorten them, but i took that into account. The arms only petrude an inch on the right and left of their respective pedals. And if i had my way i would make them longer... The reason being, if i am riding at night i would like cars to give me the same respect as motorcycles. If they see something with short little blinking lights they might pass it off and come even faster at my hide... :)

Second part, Cost.
Boe-Bot microcontroller = 130$
Seat carrier deal = 18$
Two rear lights (Together) = 11$
Black hobby box = 10$
Bolts = 5$
2 6v battery packs (Radioshack Clearance) = 1.00$
Double A's = 3$
RTV Silicone = 4$
JB Kwik = 3$
Electrical Connectors = 4$
Dowel Rod = 1$
Electrical tape = 1$
Wire Hider = 4$
Zip Ties =3$
20 gauge wire = 8$
3 Relays = 6$
Drill bits and Socket set = 15$
3 Rocker switches = 13$

Total = 240$

Stuff I already had:
Boe Bot microcontroller = 130$
Most bolts
More electrical tape
Wire
Usb cable
Dremel
Resistors
Programming skills = Invaluable

A little know how...

It only cost me close to 100$ (Which is not bad)

In closing: It was not that had to make it, but i ran into a lot of speed bumps.. Like not finding my drill motor and having to use my dremel... But other than programmin it, it was not that bad and it was and still is alot of fun. And the micro controller can be used for alot of other things like gps or light control or even for make shift ABS (which i might experiment with...) The only thing i wish i had were better batteries... Hope you like it! Ill make another video soon and put it up.

xct2

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
I have my bike torn apart right at the moment, but here's a video of my rear light set-up

Yeah, it looks like a nuclear meltdown but people slow way down when they pass me :)

-George

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
That is the result of several blinkies mounte on the rear, the frame and handlebar ends all running at the same time. I also have a blinkie mounted on my helmet and wear a reflective vest at night.

If someone hits me, it ain't because they didn't see me.

nhssdf4

Jun 21, 2010
Ruston, LA
That is the result of several blinkies mounte on the rear, the frame and handlebar ends all running at the same time. I also have a blinkie mounted on my helmet and wear a reflective vest at night.

If someone hits me, it ain't because they didn't see me.
I resorted to making my own because i didnt know where to get the blinky circuits... Did you just buy them from Wal-Mart?xct2

lolitsdaelan

Apr 23, 2010
Indianapolis
Cool build, but OMG $240!?!?!?

Seriously???

You can buy Atmel micros for 2 bucks a piece, if not cheaper. Or if you want a dev board, the Arduino kits are only $30 for the simpler boards.

nhssdf4

Jun 21, 2010
Ruston, LA
Cool build, but OMG $240!?!?!?

Seriously???

You can buy Atmel micros for 2 bucks a piece, if not cheaper. Or if you want a dev board, the Arduino kits are only $30 for the simpler boards.
I probably could but i already had the Boe-Bot, so it only cost me hardware.....
and i can put a GPS chip and all kinds of sensors on it as well....xct2

wbelyeu

Jun 29, 2010
oklahoma city
i am new to this forum this actually my first post. i like your rear light set up. you obviously have some knowledge of lighting and system componets. the bike you see as my pic is my new baby. i have only had her about 1 month fresh build all new parts. i really want a light set on it so i have been playing around with some ideas. could you give some feed back on my idea? i found a couple 6v flashers so i wired them with toggle switches on the ground wires. each side is indipendant from the other. they run from a nicad rechargeable battery to the toggle switch to the 6v light mounted in a motorcycle carbon fiber turn signal housing. its pretty low tech but on a full charge the battery seems to last a few hours with them on all the time. i figured with this set up i could use one system for signals and a whole nother set up for brake and head light just with a higher volt set up. do you think i will have many problems out of this set up.

nhssdf4

Jun 21, 2010
Ruston, LA
i am new to this forum this actually my first post. i like your rear light set up. you obviously have some knowledge of lighting and system componets. the bike you see as my pic is my new baby. i have only had her about 1 month fresh build all new parts. i really want a light set on it so i have been playing around with some ideas. could you give some feed back on my idea? i found a couple 6v flashers so i wired them with toggle switches on the ground wires. each side is indipendant from the other. they run from a nicad rechargeable battery to the toggle switch to the 6v light mounted in a motorcycle carbon fiber turn signal housing. its pretty low tech but on a full charge the battery seems to last a few hours with them on all the time. i figured with this set up i could use one system for signals and a whole nother set up for brake and head light just with a higher volt set up. do you think i will have many problems out of this set up.

Actually, you sound like you have the right idea.. I am using relays for mine so i can combine my 2 6v packs to one 12v source. But i have an LED brake light that runs off of 6v, so i used a relay to connect to one pack instead of 2.. But other than that it sounds like you know what you are doing. Im also using a car headlight on mine but i think i am going to change it out (Draws too much current). But good luck and def. post a youtube video when you get the chance or take some pictures. Good luck!xct2

steakaeter10

May 15, 2010
California
I have been considering making a set up like this using an Arduino. I also figured that a flex bend sensor attached to the brake caliper would be able to trigger a brake light as well.

nhssdf4

Jun 21, 2010
Ruston, LA
I was not very familiar with C++ so i could not use an adruino, but by now, i have found out that there are circuits that make this flashing. A flex sensor is a great idea even if you can get a small pressure sensor and put it on the handle itself... That way, even if you have your hand on the brake, the lights show up

xct2

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
The skill required is respectable.

Interesting set-up. The shelf hangers would have looked cool painted black.

I have ideas like you. Great thread.

nhssdf4

Jun 21, 2010
Ruston, LA
It took quite a while to build... Just be careful if you use relays like i did, for they tend to chatter and make a sporadic connection which makes your lights crazy. I also agree with the black. But if i were to do it again, i would put on my smaller shelf arms... I kept bumping it when I would dismount. and they were a bit wide... Twas nice though...

xct2

nhssdf4

Jun 21, 2010
Ruston, LA
I just wanted to build something original and multipurposed using what I learned in College, although for something that cheap, you cant beat it... I MAY just buy one.....
xct2

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
That is what I love about some of these projects, he has duct tape and tin cans attached to 300 dollars of electronics. But the only reason the 300 dollar controller is in there is because he had it kicking around. Great project.