Anyone use a pocket bike motor?

GoldenMotor.com

john_the_great

Oct 24, 2009
California
I've researched some of the cheap chinese pocket bike 49cc engines and they claim to put out about 3 hp at 11,000. I was wondering if anyone used a pocket bike motor, and how they performed.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
The trick would be getting one up to 11k rpm. I have a junk pocket bike that I rescued from a dumpster and the chain it uses is tiny plus even on a bike that small the rear sprocket is almost as big as the rear tire. If I remember right the front sprocket only has about 6 teeth.

I've been tempted to go the other way and put a China Girl engine on the pocket bike. lol

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
i recieved a free scooter...needs a stator due to the crank sensor being built in....i was looking how to intergrate these things but i scrapped the idea when i found a coffin from an old haunted house....no no a real coffin...i guy i work with has it...i think that motor clutch and cvt is going in there

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I HAD a pocketbike for a while, but some ******bag stole it. It didn't even run.
I got to ride another one for a while that I fixed for a friend's kids. It was the little cheap one like from pep boys or something. It had a 12v "starter" that was more like an electric assist start and battery charger. It was about 40-50cc. It would move the bike from a dead stop but only really got going around 15-25mph. It used some crappy little skinny chain that I don't know of any other uses for. no hobby shops or mechanics, even tire shops, will touch these things. Someone gave me a free tire valve and a cola just to go away.

I was going to rack mount it to a bicycle like a BMX or old rigid 26" bike.

Glad to see someone has done it.

biken stins

Jul 11, 2008
A engine mount to fit MB's is being auctioned. got one. well built and price was right. Shipping was high. Pocket engine for $75. Now to find a donar bike.My guess is it will need a jack shaft.
These motor bicycles are habit forming. Got to keep trying till its right.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Pocket bike motor, easy mount, any bike

BICYCLE ENGINE KITS FROM BIKEMOTORPARTS.COM has US made "staton drive" roller bearing kits, that can take a pocketbike or weeder engine easily.

A engine mount to fit MB's is being auctioned. got one. well built and price was right. Shipping was high. Pocket engine for $75. Now to find a donar bike.My guess is it will need a jack shaft.
These motor bicycles are habit forming. Got to keep trying till its right.

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
The pocket bike guys also have an air cooled version of the the motor john the great posted, they claim 7mp out of a little 39cc displacment -the ultimate air cooled motor indeed. While the 39cc sounds more like a weed whacker motor, the thought of a 7hp certainly caught my attention.

I called the boys at pocket bikes unlimited a few weeks back, he said 'out of stock, call back in a couple weeks', I called again today, he said 'out of stock, call back in a couple of weeks'. Asked about the the claims of 7hp, he said 'these motors rip, with a few mods you can get 10hp'. 10hp from a little 39cc motor sounds great, but sounds a bit optimisitic.

Anyone run one of these? A bit pricey at $415, but an honest 7hp for 4 bills is pretty tempting to me.

Rich

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
I use a gp 460 4.2 hp stock.
With a tuned pipe around six hp and still uses 91 octane

This engine will last a while your pocketbike engine wont last.
The pocket bike engines have too small ports to reach 15000 plus rpm like a piped gp 460 can.

The bb88xx is a link to Daves Discount motors.
bb88xx

2dawgs

Feb 15, 2010
Gilbert, AZ
Spad4me,

What are you using the engine on (MB, etc.)?

If using on a MB, what's the set up (transmission, jackshaft, etc.) or do you hook it up & go?

Thanks.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Stroke, Compression, timing, complete fuel burn, balance, cooling efficiency, bearing/journal friction, exhaust efficiency: All of these things dramatically effect how fast an engine can turn and how much power can be made with it.

michaelgrav

Sep 14, 2009
sf bay area
I bought the same motor you have pictured from pocket bikes unlimited and have a machinist and fabricator working on custom mounts & a jackshaft assembly to fit the engine. We are still looking at some heavy cruisers and good rear hub to handle the power. I will post pics once we get moving on this project cause my funds are going to a trip to the Philippines to fly my wife & children here.
I want to build this only for part time riding unlike my Sculls cruiser which is a full time commuter.

john_the_great

Oct 24, 2009
California
I use a gp 460 4.2 hp stock.
With a tuned pipe around six hp and still uses 91 octane

This engine will last a while your pocketbike engine wont last.
The pocket bike engines have too small ports to reach 15000 plus rpm like a piped gp 460 can.

The bb88xx is a link to Daves Discount motors.
bb88xx
When I started this thread I was un-aware of the existence of the GP 460 now I wanna hook it up to a cvt and build the ultimate mb.

This ported gp460 with a tuned pipe is definitley putting out more then 4.2hp lol

5http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMPwlioIpyc