Kill switch and light question

GoldenMotor.com

nitroscope8

May 26, 2008
Long Island, New York
I see some of you have lights rigged up to the 6 volt system. One member I think custom made his own lighting system...not bad. My question is how do you rig a lighting system without stalling the engine? I mean, if that white wire gets grounded, the engine will stall (obviously) and if you put a few ohms of resistance into that kill switch circuit won't it lose spark and stall? Maybe someone can explain it a little better to me.

I feel silly...i'm a Vw tech and I still havent figured this simple system out lol.

sisdavid

Mar 31, 2008
Daytona Beach
Also, seems like it would be a good idea to take a 6V light system with the generator, and just take the generator off and use the lights, but people sell the complete bike set up with lights with a generator why?

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Norman builds one I have no idea. My system killed the engine when I built it from a lantern,,,

Boy go fast is offering one now His hooks from the white wire and then on to the blue wire no ground at all. I have no idea how it works.

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Normans white wire lights work off of the white wire only. The kill switch just shorts the blue and black wire together. With the white wire only light you ground to the frame. Norman did lots of R & D to find the correct bulb to make sufficient light that won't kill the engine and won't burn the bulb out the first 3 mins. They work great, he even sells a tail light that will work with it too........................

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
I have my kill switch wired so that it shorts the blue and black wire together. The white wire is to generate a minute amount of power for accessories..........:D

NeutronBomb

May 29, 2008
Atlanta!!
www.myspace.com
I see some of you have lights rigged up to the 6 volt system. One member I think custom made his own lighting system...not bad. My question is how do you rig a lighting system without stalling the engine? I mean, if that white wire gets grounded, the engine will stall (obviously) and if you put a few ohms of resistance into that kill switch circuit won't it lose spark and stall? Maybe someone can explain it a little better to me.

I feel silly...i'm a Vw tech and I still havent figured this simple system out lol.

I bought a light on ebay, this one, and unhooked the white wire from the kill switch, hooked it onto the light, started her up and it was on. I wondered why it didnt kill the engine either.. it worked though! I just ran the engine without a kill switch, i mean, really you don't need it.. unfortunately i hooked it up one night and the next day my bike got stolen. it looked rad but wasn't as big as i expected.. hey i sound like my girlfriend!

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
there is differant ways to ground out the ignition. My advise is you better have a way to kill it on the handlebars when your in the panic mode. the colored wire off the ignition blue or green should do it use the white wire for the lights the black is the groundwire.

tinkerfinger

Jun 10, 2008
I understand what you are getting at. No, you can not use both hot wires off the magneto as the + side connection, and ground on frame. The 2 hot wires are technically two different ends of the same wire that is wrapped around a coil. As the mag turns, it charges the coil, connecting the two together is a no-no.
P.S. hooking to two seperate batteries like this would double amps and voltage. doing it to a coil will not, because both wires share the same source.

motor_head

Dec 18, 2008
iowa
in series means white wire---generator---light

i wouldn't you could blow the magneto
be easier to just get a bigger generator

Shlink

Oct 3, 2010
USA
Series wires everything in a line, like one big circle

White Wire(+) ----------(-)Generator(+)---------(-)Light(+)--|
Ground(-)---------------------------------------------------|

Opposed to wiring them parallel which is more like

White Wire(+)-----------Generator(+) --------- Light(+)
Ground(-) --------------Generator(-)-----------Light(-)

Thats probably kind of confusing, if you don't get it just ignore this post :p

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
series is nice and all but with series if on thing goes out they all loose conectivity ever had to change a light wired in series

rgd48

Nov 28, 2010
nokomis, fl
i think my kill switch is operating backwards. i have to keep it depressed in order for the engine to stay running. how should the wiring be. lots of wires with an array of colors. i bought this used so i have no descriptive manuals. it is the flying horse engine. 80cc 2-stroke..bf..bf..bf.

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
there is a custom search bar at the top of the page that will bring links to your exact question

just type in kill switch wiring and walla all the info you need (well most of the time)