Clutch refusing to disenage the back wheel

GoldenMotor.com

Mopedamauter79

Mar 31, 2008
Ottawa
For some reason now when I press the clutch handle the back wheel is still locked and I cannot move the bike at all. What would cause the clutch to lock up like that ? I took the clutch cover off and cleaned it up inside but I'm still lost as to what it preventing it from letting go of the back wheel. The clutch does move and it's pushing the pin in.

It happened today as I went to ride it and it i wasn't going very fast when the chain tightened right up and the back wheel locked. It was missing only one bolt on the side for the engine mount and I was very close to home and I had planned to go slow when I got it up to maybe 10-15 km/h and it just locked up the back wheel on me.

.duh.

reg454

Jan 11, 2009
michigan
can you push the clutch arm all the way in and it is still locked up. Maybe you do not have enouph pull on the clutch arm to disengauge it. Your clutch cable probly stretch try tightening up the cable as much as you can and try again.

If not you might need to do some tinkering with the clutch assembly.

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
You say the chain tightened up and the wheel is locked.I've heard of a few cases where the chain got stuck at the engine case right beside the front sprocket. I'd have a look at that. That missing bolt may have let the angles on the chain/sprockets screw up.

Mopedamauter79

Mar 31, 2008
Ottawa
can you push the clutch arm all the way in and it is still locked up. Maybe you do not have enouph pull on the clutch arm to disengauge it. Your clutch cable probly stretch try tightening up the cable as much as you can and try again.

If not you might need to do some tinkering with the clutch assembly.
My clutch cable is pretty tight. I always make sure it's nice and tight. The arm goes in quite abit when you press on the clutch handle. I checked anyway to be sure and it's just as tight as it was before.

MB-Monkey

Nov 19, 2008
Manchester TN USA
take off the master link off then take off the clutch actuator cover and take a look. if it is jammed in the front you can work it loose. ziptie the clutch lever pulled so the motor is free and start working it loose towards the rear tire. sometimes a reasonable amount of force is necessary maybe even a quick jerking motion.

Mopedamauter79

Mar 31, 2008
Ottawa
Well that seems simple enough. I shall go and see if it looks jammed.

EDIT:Yes the chain is jammed up. This makes me love this engine from Chris Hill even more. Never anything major happens with it. Very simple and easy solution to the problem. Thanks guys.

Last edited:

Mopedamauter79

Mar 31, 2008
Ottawa
fixed it. I took the cover off and used a small flat head and pushed a link up to make a gap and did the same for a couple more links till the chain feel snug back into place. I released the clutch lever and the back wheel moves freely now. That was a easy fix.