My Bike

GoldenMotor.com

metalmaster

May 16, 2009
S.E. Tennessee
Hi
here are som pics of my bike. It has an 84" wheel base, will run 30 mph on flat ground and has about a 12 mile range in the hilly terrain here in S.E. TN. It was built from a walmart mountain bike 14ga 1 1/4 tubing and some junk bike parts. The frame for the cargo basket is made from stainless and slips into the tube for the seat back, it can be removed in seconds wthout tools.The bike has a 36V battery pack and an onboard charger, also I have adapted a disc brake to the front wheel.

Jim

Attachments

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
looks like a nice bike to me, and I think you might have discovered a good method to DIY an ebike. Start with someone else's and work from there. I like the idea of just using the wheel from an existing ebike. That is what you did isn't it? If not it sure gives me an idea.

metalmaster

May 16, 2009
S.E. Tennessee
Hi Deacon
thanks for the comments. To answer your question about the wheel no ebike parts used, the walmart bike was just the cheap $50 dollar mountain bike. I fabricated pretty much everything on this bike even the drive sprockets( I own a machine shop).

Jim

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Ah i see. way more talented than me but still the rear wheel thing from an ebike would really simplyfy things. I'll have to keep an eye out for a wreck.

metalmaster

May 16, 2009
S.E. Tennessee
Yeah it would make things alot easier. It would be great if you could find something like one of those mongoose ebikes walmart was selling . Maybe with a blown controller or wrecked front end.

Jim

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Actually all the parts are available to rebuild one except the rear wheel elements. TNC scooter had the motor and controller and throttle, there isn't much else to one except that wheel with the extra freewheel.

metalmaster

May 16, 2009
S.E. Tennessee
Hi Ozzy,

I built this bike to be pretty much a pedal assisted electric. laff
There is quite a bit of drag from the motor when pedaling alone, you sure wouldn't want to pedal it too far. In an emergency it would be fairly easy to pop the master link off the drive chain to eliminate the motor drag. This bike has been a test mule for different ideas and I have a more powerful motor that has a freewheel on the drive sprocket I just haven't gotten around to reworking the drivetrain setup.

Jim

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
im making a elctric bike out of a old roadmaster bike.
i have all parts available from a mongoose e-bike from walmart.
front wheel 18" and a 16" rear wheel with sprockets(i will put this on mountainbike)
i will change the front fork on the mountainbike with the one from mongoose for the smaller wheel and the brakes will work.i will mount motor on rear rack and run chain down to sprocket. i will mount battery pack with controller in v-frame part(plus i have the charger for it)i also have the throttle for it too.and i will be able to peddal it too.
it should be good for 15mph for a short distance(with new battery it would get 5 miles but now that its old it will probally get less).i will post pics sometime.

update:project delayed,back wheel too wide for mountain bike.

Last edited: