file under failure isn't all bad

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Well pushing a bike a mile home might not be up there with my greatest achievements.

Okay I added a 350 watt pusher motor to my 250 hub bike. I even asked on another thread what folks might have expected. I sure didn't expect what happened. Each motor was on an independant circuit. Each motor had run separately without any problems. Of course I expected it to use more power but that was about it.

It went half a mile or so. It ran only a little better not as much as I would have expected. it did not climb any better at all and that was the purpose of the experiment. After that half mile it just stopped. I have had enough problems to know that when both motors failed. I had most likely done something to the battery pack. I had pretty much determined the fuses were blown.

That being the case I pushed the bike home. I noticed it had a binding as it rolled, but I don't even care about that. There was not enough improvement when it was working to be worthwhile.

What I did do was to use the opportunity to redesign my pusher bike. I put the batteries back on the bike and shorted the frame of the pusher trailer. Actually the pusher wheel is no more than a inch or so from the bike rear wheel. I manage to get in short test ride and it handled some better with the wheels closer together. The bike is fairly easy to maneuver with the battery back on board the bike.

For some reason this time the pusher doesn't need the weight. I have no idea what I have done differently but it ran out really well. Has about the hill climbing strength of the 31cc weed whacker bike but no top end hardly at all. I guess you can't have everything.

It is my favorite of my two bikes, and it is pulling away from the hub. I have to go buy a new fuse holder tomorrow and i will be riding the pusher bike.

Last edited:

grouchyolfart

May 31, 2008
Wahiawa, Hawai'i
Shucks, someone over here is selling an antique riskshaw bike they found in a bunch of hibiscus bushes. The passenger seat is over the 2 FRONT wheels. Told the wife now how the heck is one supposed to steer with all that weight up front. Needs LOTS of work, but they're asking around $500 for it. I say not. :eek:

Another fellow is making and renting his own pedicab trailers. Wife likes them, but I think he's asking almost $1000 ea. That would be a sweet rig with a 1000 watter or larger and lots of batteries. (^)

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
In this town during furniture market I bet you could pay for one of those. I was thinking the thing to do was to get a trike, take the basket off and make it into a seat. passengers face rear.

Yes at least a thousand watts. Con someone into allowing me to make a charging station somewhere. It would have been fun but too late to get started now.