Twisted Spoke Lacing

GoldenMotor.com

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
cool looking. I wonder how it holds up in real life...Looks like it would be very hard to true. Anyone have experience with this?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Unique and sort of pretty but there's no spoke strength. It defeats the whole concept of a spoked rim. I wouldn't want it on a motorized bike, or even a pedal one that saw any rough ground or bumps. Reminds me of chrome plated brake rotors I've seen on full show cars. Nice to look at but not rely on.

Tom

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
that "snowflake" pattern is usually done on show bikes like lowriders, and is probably the weakest lacing pattern there is.

i wouldn't recommend it on a motored bike. i've seen them buckle before.
Ah, the "nay sayers".

As per "muskimo", a senior member of rotorburn.com, who did considerable internet research on different ways/styles to build wheels I quote: "the theory behind the snow flake or twisty pattern, is that the more contact the spokes have with each other the stronger the wheel build" but, he also went on to say, "this also makes it hard to tension and true a wheel".

I have serious doubts about what you said. I really can't picture how a wheel laced like that would "buckle". And after reading your reply and looking at other websites that have discussed snowflake lacing, I found no mention of it being weak of in danger of buckling.

Perhaps you can offer some evidence of your claim?

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I have to concur with Baird... when you bend the spokes like that, it really weakens the wheel. :(

Crossing them 'over-under' with straight spokes in the proven way.

They're purely for show.

Last edited:

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
Baird and Norm, we all know each other from other than just here at the forum. I'd trust your judgement on many things. Baird, I had no intent on creating bad feelings in my reply but, since snowflake lacing is rarely seen, I couldn't help but question how you came upon your opinion.

I did more research on "snowflake" lacing and found this web page that might be interesting reading for both of you. There are a number of replies to a post from people who have/ had experience with snowflake lacing and have listed both pros and cons. Though the cons may outway the pros, none of them described the lacing style as weak.

http://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=66330&pagenum=3

There are 2 styles to bike building, "function before form" and "form before function". To the guys, like myself, who build in the "form before function" style and who, rather than out of necessity, ride for enjoyment, I see no reason to "nay say" and discourage any idea which ads a little extra pizazz to any build unless it's obviously and definitely dangerous and life threatening.

I rest my case...

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i didn't mean to come off like a jerk, i was just speaking from my experience.

you know i punish all my bikes, so you know i'm coming at you from my point of view. a wheel like that might hold up puttering around car shows or something, but i'd never trust it on one of my bikes.

ultimately, it's up to you, but i still think it's a bad idea.

retromike3

Jan 9, 2009
Beaverton OR
the new set of wheels I just got done lacing up for my motored bike was Campy Nuevo Record 32 front and and no name Shimano 32 clone for the rear with a six bolt disk I reinstalled the kings 36 adapter that i was using to drive my old bike before the car hit me(sigh).

I think that if you just go with a straight three cross pattern and make sure your tension is correct there is no reason to install a twisted spoke pattern. First of all it looks bloody ugly! Second, doesn't look like a be very easy to replace a spoke, not that that ever happens. I thought that the reason why you work so hard to make sure there is a balance in the tension of the wheel is it that way you will build a stronger one. I just don't see that happening with this twisted set up.

Mike Frye A.K.A Frye Bikes